Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 AM

I swear that people just like saying 'doodle' or something!! they love the name........so maybe they should just call their dog doodle and get over the crazy designer breeds.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 PM
bjdobson

The sad part is it's a FAD!! Once this fad is over, then what? And have any of you seen full-grown puggles? I'm sorry, but yuck!! Pugs are cute... beagles are cute... but puggles? Blech!!

Another board I was on, a guy bought a doodle for $1,200 and would NOT listen to ANYTHING anyone said to him about how silly they were and why not a poodle and how breeding doodles is not a good thing because they don't breed "True" every time. Sigh. He would not listen.

I hope to heck this "fad" ends soon. The shelters are full enough
Old 03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

There are labradoodles and golden doodles for sale in my paper right now. It makes me laugh becaues they do it in seperate adds like no one will notice they are breeding a ton! I tihk they want 1500 Last time labradoodles were for sale the add rna for months and finally went half price So not everyone is ignorant.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I think it is awful, there are even shepadoodles now and doodleman pinschers so thats what they are called anyway. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemi...e_Mixed_Breeds
Old 03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdobson
Another board I was on, a guy bought a doodle for $1,200 and would NOT listen to ANYTHING anyone said to him about how silly they were and why not a poodle and how breeding doodles is not a good thing because they don't breed "True" every time. Sigh. He would not listen.
Hi bjdobson...
you're missed....
i agree, that "guy" was a bit pigheaded...too bad so many are buying into this fad.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Puppy Dog

I considered getting a golden/poodle mix, and I still might after my puppy is a bit older. I don't plan on going to a shelter any time soon, because I want health tests on the parents and health guarantees for the puppy (at a minimum) if I'm getting a dog.

I could see getting upset about people who just hand their dogs over to anyone with cash, but this whole idea that everyone who breeds mixes is a bad person who only cares about money is just crazy. And after the fad is over, there are going to be a lot of doodle owners who have nice dogs that they got from nice breeders. Just like there are a lot of purebred owners who got dogs from nice breeders. There will also always be people who bought purebred pets from bad breeders, and those who bought mixes from bad breeders.

All of the breeds we have today came from people breeding animals to get different traits. That's the same thing that's happening now and imo it's not a bad thing.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

This is an ad from our local paper:

Goldendoodle puppies, parents, AKC, & hip cert. hlth guaranteed. $800

Its all about $$ for these people. Most of them think that by breeding dogs like this they are doing it for the best traits of each breed, but don't realize that they might get the worst traits of each breed.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller
I could see getting upset about people who just hand their dogs over to anyone with cash, but this whole idea that everyone who breeds mixes is a bad person who only cares about money is just crazy. And after the fad is over, there are going to be a lot of doodle owners who have nice dogs that they got from nice breeders. Just like there are a lot of purebred owners who got dogs from nice breeders. There will also always be people who bought purebred pets from bad breeders, and those who bought mixes from bad breeders.

All of the breeds we have today came from people breeding animals to get different traits. That's the same thing that's happening now and imo it's not a bad thing.
No, it's not the same thing.

If these dogs were being bred for ANY PURPOSE other than to supply the pet trade, it might be different.

The original "doodle" breeding program was abandoned in Australia after they could not get F2 and F3 crosses to breed true.

ANYONE breeding "doodles" of any kind is doing it for one reason.

$$$$$$$$$$

It is a disservice to both breeds.

If you want a curly coated retriever, then get one. There is already such a breed.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
No, it's not the same thing.

If these dogs were being bred for ANY PURPOSE other than to supply the pet trade, it might be different.

The original "doodle" breeding program was abandoned in Australia after they could not get F2 and F3 crosses to breed true.

ANYONE breeding "doodles" of any kind is doing it for one reason.

$$$$$$$$$$

It is a disservice to both breeds.

If you want a curly coated retriever, then get one. There is already such a breed.
Or, maybe they're doing it for the love of that particular mix. Thanks, but I don't have any interest in getting a curly coated retriever. I am open minded, and if anyone can show me proof that damage is being done to either breed, or that there is something wrong with this particular mix, then I'd be interested. I'm not going to say that I'll agree, but it's always nice to have more information. Every dog breed that we have was created by humans because we wanted something from them. Dogs themselves were created by humans because we wanted them for some particular purpose. Humans have been manipulating animals and the earth itself for our own gain ever since we got here. In the beginning it might have been a matter of life and death. But it hasn't been like that for a long time for most of the western world.

How do we, and the dogs benefit from having another set of purbred poodles, or goldens, or labs, and what do we and the dogs lose when someone makes a doodle litter instead, after having tested the parents, interviewed homes, offered health contracts that give refunds on dogs with genetic problems, take back the dogs that they've bred with no questions asked etc?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Big Dog

The point is keller, that there are tons of mutts available that dont have homes. and people are not benefitted by these designer mutts. if you mix a poodle with a lab, some of the puppies will have the lab qualities and some will have the poodle qualities and there isnt a way to tell until they get older which puppies have which qualities. If these people were trying to create a new breed of dog for a specific reason that would be different, but all they are doing is breeding a poodle with as many different breeds of dogs as possible. it takes a long time and a lot of work and knowlegde to create a new breed, i bet the first people who created labradors are rolling over in their graves everytime a lab is bred to a poodle.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney