Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Island dweller

Ok. So, it seems to be a weasel. Not a ferret. Either way I'm getting tired of having it in my walls.

I managed to take some pictures of it poking it's head out last night.

Any thoughts on how to humanely catch a weasel living in your walls? That's a question I never thought I'd have to ask!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Felurian

I don't know if it's true there, but most of the animal controls and humane societies here have humane traps you can borrow (you have to leave a deposit). If you have the equivalent of Wildlife Control they might have something you can use as well.

You know, you might have a martin in the walls instead of a weasel: http://faculty.njcu.edu/fmoran/vol4martin.htm

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Island dweller

Thanks I don't think I can call them til monday but I'll look up the number.

I found this link. It's an ermine - a type of weasel. That explains the white-tipped tail. What an educational situation!

http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/anim...l#weasel_table
Old 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Felurian

You must have been posting when I was editing! lol After reading the info at the link I posted I thought it might even be a martin, especially considering that it seems to be very comfortable near humans.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Island dweller

Possibly, but this site http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/anim...l#weasel_table doesn't mention if it has a white winter coat (with black tipped tail) or if it's in this area.

You never know though. I think they're all quite similar.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Felurian

I noticed that. I think - think - I remember reading or seeing on a nature program of some ilk that martens living in very cold climates turn white in the winter.

If you could be certain it wouldn't bother your bunnies it wouldn't be bad to have around - keeping small rodents away!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Island dweller

The thing is. That rabbits very easily die of fright or shock. I really love my bunnies. They have such funny individual characters. I'd hate it if something happened to them.

My cats are always aware of it and I do think that they would know if it went in the bunny room. They'd at least try and play with it. I don't want to have a weasel or bunny casualty on my hands!

And really, I can't be sure that nothing will happen to my buns.

It doesn't bother me though. I don't want it running across me in the night but other than that it's actually pretty cute
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Felurian

I didn't realize rabbits would die if fright! Talk about something that would make you feel guilty! You probably are better off if you can trap it and release it out in a barn or someplace safe. With Maverick and Mikey I seriously doubt the critter will venture very far out into the house. I don't see anything running over you while you sleep with Maverick snoring away on the bed.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Island dweller

LOL. that's quite true. Although when we were trying to catch him Maverick was hanging around and he was racing all over the place. Reminded me of my sis' chinchilla. He ran across our bed and peeked up between the pillow cases too. Looked like he'd done that before!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That looks like a domestic to me....took care of a bunch of em at the animal warehouse....good thing he put on a glove because they bite hard and their teeth are so sharp! Like trying to hold on to water and just as quick too. My boss got this big idea that he was going to put them all in a display case (about 20) where u slid the door sideways to feed and clean...out they all poured...it was just insane..back to the horse tank where you put this big ol leather glove on to reach for the water and food bowl, came up with your arm looking like a stringer of fish, pulled them off one by one. never wanted one as a pet after that, I know they can be tamed but oh my gosh hard to believe after these guys. I feel sorry for the little one though, looks like an escapee or a dumped. Live trap? I am sure there is a ferret rescue out there. Good luck, looking forward to see how it all comes out.