Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Island dweller

Default I have a story

It's not dog-related so I'll put it here.

Last night, actually early this morning, my bf and I woke up to the sounds of the dogs and cats fighting and a weird hissing noise. Ok. I'll tell the truth. I slept through it and my bf got me up.

So, anyway, all bleery-eyed and without my glasses I try and peer where he's pointing and all I see is a blurr of motion. "Look, Look," he says, grabbing my head and directing my line of vision. I think 'that's not going to help, I'm half blind, Cranking my head all over isn't going to improve my site.'

Anyway, I put my glasses on and see ...

no not a rat

A ferret! No, ferrets are not a part of my large, furry family. Although they apparently want to be.

He/she has dark eyes and a white body with a grey tip on her tail. She was quite small. I'll call her a her unless I learn differently.

My bf puts on some thick gloves and she actually isn't that afraid. She held her own with the cats/dogs and when he put his hand down she sniffed the leather. She tried to bite him though when he went to grab her. I got a box which she ran into and out of very quickly. They are fast little buggers!

And after a few laps around the room which included running across my bed she jumped into a drawer and went back into the walls.

We live in a trailer. It's less than ideal but it's a transition place until I get a little more out of debt. And since we've moved here I've heard a scampering sound. I always thought it was the squirrel that eats at the feeder outside of my window. But now I know it was this ferret. My cat Mini whose quite a little acrobatic hunter has always heard this noise and tracked the sound around the walls and frequently sits on the highest shelf where she can hear it best.

The odd thing is that black-footed ferrets are the only ferret native to this region and they are endangered. At least that's what I've discovered from spending the day on the net reading about ferrets. And that white ferrets with dark eyes are a colour quite commonly found.

I don't know if it's possiblet that this is a wild ferret or an escaped pet. There aren't a lot of homes around here and I don't know if I've seen ferrets at the pet store (I hate going there).

It's possible that previous tenants had a ferret but we've been hear since October and this ferret doesn't look fully grown. She's probably about 7 inches long (if that) and very skinny.

What do you think? How should I catch it? I don't want it running around the house because they are carnivorous and they terrorize bunnies (I have three).

Weird, eh?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Island dweller

This is what it looked like except skinnier

http://www.nofear.org/Archives/Images/200305/ferret.jpg
Old 01-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

What a wake-up call!

She's probably got herself a nice warm little nest in your walls & sneaks out at nite to try to find some kibble.

How about setting up one of those cage traps (set up where your dogs & cats can't get to it) that you can lure her into with some yummy food? Hopefully someone here has some experience with ferrets and can give you some good suggestions.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Island dweller

That's a good idea. I'll see if there's a wild-life centre around here that will lend me a trap. Hmmm,... now where to set it up...
Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Felurian

How funny! I was friends with a couple years ago who had a big grey striped Tom and an albino ferret. The two got along just fine and the ferret was quite a social creature, but you had to be very careful if you had a glass of wine or anything with any alcohol in it. The ferret was a booze-hound. It would drink, then become a very belligerent drunken ferret and go pick a scrap with the cat.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Island dweller

Ha ha ha. I wouldn't mind having a ferret but I love my bunnies a lot and apparently bunnies are quite petrified of them. I don't want to cause them any stress.

I wish I knew where this ferret came from! It's bugging me a little.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Felurian

I guess your bunnies are nervous! Ferrets are kissin' cousins to weasels and weasels prey on small animals like bunnies!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Island dweller

I'm not sure that they are aware of her yet since she hasn't been in the house much as far as I know. They have a very strong scent, as you know, and I think the bunnies would react immediately. This was a very small ferret. Less than half the size of my bunnies. That's not to say it couldn't hurt them. It held it's own against all of my cats and dogs. Of course they are tame and probably were more curious and playful then deadly.

If we kept her in the house though that smell would be there. On me and my bf, the cats...

I just don't think it's a good idea.

I brought home a hegehog once and put her cage near (not close) to my hamsters. My hamster just panicked! She was shaking and making all kinds of odd snuffy noises. They don't normally make a lot of noise. I pulled her out of her house and she was all sweaty. She was fine as soon as I moved the hedgehog away.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Felurian

They're smelling the musk glands. Ferrets bred for domesticity here in the states typically have the musk glands removed before they are offered for sale.

Your tame critters were probably reacting to the feral nature of the hedgehog more than to any real perceived danger. That kind of thing is unsettling to domestic animals. I've often thought it was part of the reason othe dogs react so strangely to Bimmer. Even dogs that are larger tend to give him a wide berth and plenty of respect.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Island dweller

The same here in Canada. They have there musk glands removed. That's why I don't know if this was a pet or a baby of a pet...