Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Big Dog

Default Any American Cocker breeders that leave natural tails?

Do any exist in the US or Canada? One with excellent lines, of course. I grew up with a Cocker, and thought I'd never have one again because of all the health problems she had, but I think I'd go for it some day if I found a place with the right lines that didn't dock.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do any exist in the US or Canada? One with excellent lines, of course. I grew up with a Cocker, and thought I'd never have one again because of all the health problems she had, but I think I'd go for it some day if I found a place with the right lines that didn't dock.
Docking is a breed standard requirement in NA through all legitimate NA registries, so I can't imagine that any "reputable" breeder here would be leaving tails intact. In my (extremely) limited Google search I did find a few kennels in some parts of Europe that produce very nice looking, intact American Cockers. I liked Four Seasons' dogs in Hungary http://fourseasons.uw.hu/ especially (well, some of them, not a fan at all of the bitch they have a current litter out of, but I really liked some of their other bitches). It also looks as though they health test their dogs, but I don't know what tests are necessary in the breed. Assuming of course that you'd be open to the possibility of having to import from further away to begin with.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

I don't know of any off hand, but more breeders ARE leaving tails on dogs, or at least thinking about it. My most favorite ESS breeder is starting to leave tails on puppies!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Big Dog

Thanks. I was hoping it would start to go that way, as it is banned in some countries entirely, isn't it? I thought registries were starting to look into making it optional, but maybe soon.

This would probably be a few years off, so maybe by then...

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I don't know of any off hand, but more breeders ARE leaving tails on dogs, or at least thinking about it. My most favorite ESS breeder is starting to leave tails on puppies!
^this.
I don't know any personally.. but I would do some digging. Maybe look up some natural rearing breeders, I have found they are often more open to "leaving things be"
I know quite a few breeders who now are leaving tails on mismarks.. perhaps find a breeder and ask.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Canada, docking isn't a confo requirement. Have to be a big name to win with a tailed dog though.

Good number of skeazy folk leaving tails on.. Majority of breeders I like do at least minor hunting with their dogs or other field work trials, and want dogs who also win in the confo ring.

Offhand I can't think of a breeder who I feel is well rounded on health, temperament and proving their dogs who doesn't dock. But, I am just fine with docking in my breed of choice and hope NA doesn't go the way of EU with bans on docking and cropping.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Banned in the uk for non working dogs, but bit far and not many American cockers here....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
^this.
I don't know any personally.. but I would do some digging. Maybe look up some natural rearing breeders, I have found they are often more open to "leaving things be"
I know quite a few breeders who now are leaving tails on mismarks.. perhaps find a breeder and ask.
I would really like a naturally reared dog either way, regardless of which breed I end up with, and figure they might be my best bet for this.

BTW, I forgot to mention I'd be getting a dog for performance, so comformation beyond being built well isn't important. Color, marks, whatever wouldn't matter. I want a healthy dog with a good temperament and the ability and willingness to be a hiking/running/agility buddy. I realize breeders not going for comformation can be nasty, but for me, I'm looking for performance lines rather than show lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Canada, docking isn't a confo requirement. Have to be a big name to win with a tailed dog though.

Good number of skeazy folk leaving tails on.. Majority of breeders I like do at least minor hunting with their dogs or other field work trials, and want dogs who also win in the confo ring.

Offhand I can't think of a breeder who I feel is well rounded on health, temperament and proving their dogs who doesn't dock. But, I am just fine with docking in my breed of choice and hope NA doesn't go the way of EU with bans on docking and cropping.
I really adore the look of your Smudge! Seeing your dogs is part of what got me interested in them again after I joined here, as well as watching one at some local agility trials.

I grew up with one, as did my boyfriend, and I had given up on the breed due to the health issues. But I know there are better lines now, 20-25 years later.

I'm in Alaska, so Canada might be as close as anything else I find. The dog I grew up with came from Canada, actually. What would you say are the very best breeders, tail docking aside?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

It's possible, if you find the right breeder, and can really sell yourself to them, you might be able to get them to leave a tail on a puppy for you. Problem being you'd have to pick the puppy at a few days old.

A friend of mine did that with her Standard Poodle. She already had a dog from her chosen breeder, so an established relationship, she paid for the puppy and promised that she would take the puppy, whatever happened. Picked her out at 3 days old, and all the other pups in the litter were docked. She got a good dog.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

If Emily sees this her parents cocker seems like a fantastic dog and has it's tail.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.