Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Default Should I, or should I not?

I've been thinking about rescuing a dog. After a disscusion with my mom, I've been thinking and I want your guy's opinions. As of now, I have plenty of time on my hands and I would be able to take care of a new dog.
But this fall I'm going to be going into FACA (First Assembley Christian Acadamey[sp?]) as a freshman. I'll be at school (or in the car going and coming form school) from 7:00 to 3:30. Then I'll most likely have to do my homework which will probably take anywhere from 4:00 to 5:00, depending on the amount of work I have to do.
On that schedule, I'd still have time for my two doggies and a third addition. But in early or late spring next year, I'll be getting a puppy to raise for Leader Dogs for the Blind. Wesley, my 9yr old bro who LOVES dogs, can help me with the LD puppy and any new dog I get, while I'm at school. I'm also not in any sport or extra activity, besides paino lessons.

So I guess what I'm wondering is this:
Would it be too difficult having four dogs (one being a puppy), on that type of schedule? I really think I'd have time to do all that, but if I can't, it would kinda be to late if I had already gotten a dog. What do you guys think? Anybody have that type of schedule and still find time to be with your dogs? If you do, is it difficult? (And when I say difficult, I mean practicly impossible.)

I just really want to think this through before I get anther dog, just to make sure I will have enough time for it.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Active Pup

I have 6 dogs and plenty of other animals as well! I leave for work @ 7:30 am and return @ 5:30 I have weekends and Tuesdays off. I do work for a vet so I do sometimes take my dogs with me to work but only 1 at a time. In the cold my dogs spent 95% of the time in the house. I let them out to potty in the am then back in to feed them breakfast. Hubby lets them back out for a few minutes to potty then back in and he leaves around 9am. When I get home in the pm I let them out while I tend to cattle then back in to feed them. I sometimes feel they don't get enough attention but they are happy I think! The 3 younger ones stay in crates while we are not home the older 3 have run of the house. In the warmer weather they are out while I am at work. You can do it you just have to figure out how good luck! If you want the puppy you will make it happen!!!
Fritzi-13 yr German Shepherd, Kaycee-7yr Golden, Xoom-4yr Malinois, Zona-1yr Cattle Dog, Jolet-7mos. Malinois, Clinton-7mos Choc Lab. Clinton is a rescue dog he was found wondering the streets of Clinton Oklahoma. Xoom was also a rescue dog and spayed but she is the reason I fell in love with the Malinois and bought Jolet! We have high hopes for her! We are busy titling Zona in obedience and herding...maybe agility next! Fritzi was my obedience dog a long time ago! She is now retired! She is an OTCH dog! Hope I can get Zona and Jolet that far as well!
I also have 8 barn kitties and 40 cows.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Felurian

As long as you don't end up with more dogs than you can afford to care for properly and have enough space for them in your home, I don't see a problem. I think there is more than enough room in your heart!

Remember, too, that the dogs will play with each other and take care of a great deal of exercise needs that way.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian