Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Default No running down the street....

Everyday after work, I have been running a few blocks in my neighborhood. Well, for the past two days, I have gotten chased by dogs. I even had my 6 year old nephew running with me, and I had to keep the dogs away from him so they wouldn't bite him. Now, they have all been smaller dogs, but that is besides the point. I should be able to run around the block and not have to worry about wether or not I'm going to get bit. No one else seems to care. But, what if Beulah was outside and started chasing someone down the street. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! Everyone on the block would make a big deal about it. Well, in my opinion, a dog bite is a dog bite!!!! I bet they would put their mean little dogs in the house if I put Beulah on her leash, and took her for a run.....But, then again, it would probably end up being another problem if something happened between the dogs....What should I do?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

Take some sort of spray, like a pepper spray. I think you can get them where they are not that strong but they will keep the dogs a t a distance from you. Not maise (spelling?), just regular pepper spray. Beulah would probably like to go though........and that could be a deterant. Brady is so big that little dogs stay at a distace from him even though he just wants to play with ANY dog he sees. or person or child for that matter. He is quite the social butterfly!

So they may not even chase you if they see another dog with you.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Felurian

Or even just bitter apple.

The real trick would be to find something really noxious so the owners would have to clean them up to be able to stand them.

Are there other people who run in your neighborhood? If there are, maybe you can get together and think of a way to talk to these neighbors about the problem.

You're right about not getting Beulah involved.

Let us know if anything of this works. If it doesn't, we'll put our heads together again!
You do realize I'm resisting the urge to rant 'n' rave about small dogs getting by with being vicious, ill-tempered little Hell-beasts while a large dog that even looks crosseyed at anything - no matter what the provocation - gets slam-dunked as a danger to society.

Well, I almost resisted . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I'll see what I can do...No one else really runs. At least not at the same time as I do. I haven't seen anyone else anyway! It's not that it really bothers me, but when I have my nephew with me, and we are running down to the park, and a dog starts chasing him and growling at him, that's the big problem. I can handle those kind of dogs, but he can't. He's only 6. He got really scared yesterday too. Of course I would do anything to keep the dog from biting him, even if it meant I got bit, but we shouldn't have to worry about that. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Felurian

Of course, you could always try keeping some treats stashed in your pocket and try to win the dogs over - which would be a good lesson for your nephew; much better than learning to make the dogs afraid.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Island dweller

It may seem kind of harsh but I'd call the SPCA (or local equivalent) and have them give the owners a warning. It is dangerous for the dogs to be running loose like that. They could get hurt themselves and also if they bit a kid they could end up being put down. Probably not if they are little dogs. Plus you don't want you or any kid/person getting bit by a dog. I'm not saying that you should try and get the dogs taken away. The last thing we need is more animals in the shelter but if they could issue a warning that might make the owners wake up.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Even when the dog was chasing us and growling at us, I was having to try to lure him out of the road before he got ran over. He just wasn't paying attention to anything else. I would rather get bit on the foot than have to see a dog get ran over. I don't want to see the dogs taken away or hurt, I just wish the people would take better care of them.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Felurian

The only reason I'd hesitate on Saje's good advice is Beulah. Most people get really, really ticked when they get a warning about their dogs. And most animal control agencies are required by law to release the name of the person who made the complaint. That automatically makes Beulah, the Pit Bull, a target. All it takes is one lie - you can't depend on these things being investigated fairly, just acted on.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Island dweller

Ahh. I didn't realize that she is a pitbull. That's a good point.

I would have thought that they would have to keep the informant's name confidential. That doesn't make sense otherwise. Maybe it varies?

Hmmm.

That is a tough situation.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Felurian

On one hand, confidentiality might be a good thing for some obvious reasons, but on the other hand, you have to remember that there are all sorts of nuts who will make all sorts of calls and accusations. Anonymity only gives them a place to hide. There really is no good solution as long as people just won't be honest.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian