Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Pap Pup

Question Crate Training

I hope that this message finds everyone healthy and happy.

Now, I have a 12 week old Papillon who is awesome in everyway!!! He came litter box trained and is 99% on his outdoor training (he doesn't yet let me know he has to go). Now to my point...... (sorry ) He has been crate trained with mother and siblings since birth with the breeder. Since living with me the past 2 weeks, he still whines when put in his crate, if only for 2-5 minutes... Will his whinning and barking get better and how long will it take????

Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Felurian

Congratulations!

I would think the whining would subside gradually, but someone who actually uses a crate could tell you more accurately. Our pups only whined a little for a couple of nights, but they're big 'uns and don't necessarily act the same was as the small breeds.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Yellow Lab/Shepherd Mix

We crate trained our pup Tanner and yes the beginning was rough. What we found worked best was having the crate right next to our bed and when he wasn't being kept in while we were at work, we left the door open. It took a little bit, but then it was like his little den, when he was tired or wanted time to himself, upstairs he would go and we'd find him curled up with his blankie and toys in the kennel. I think as long as you make it a happy place to be, it won't take long for your puppy to get used to it. As Tanner has gotten bigger, we have stopped putting him in the kennel altogether. But we still leave it in the open for him, and it is still where he stashes alot of his prized possessions!! Our vet recommended putting a blanket over the kennel as ours was metal, this was keep him warmer and seemed to help him sleep thru the night. Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I told my mom about this thread. She suggested a bark collar. Don't know, just thought I would add her 2 cents worth. We tried a bark collar with Jim's beagle. That dog was an idiot to begin with. It didn't phase him at all, but it did make Jim be quiter. His bellowing made the collar buzz.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Puppy Dog

our little Shih Tzu has been crate trained since we got him. he loves his 'box'. only thing thats kinda annoying is in the morning, like early, he starts to whin, and bark and srcath to get out in the morning to go pee. then about an hour later he does it again. its not so bad during the week, cause we gotta get up anyway, but its kinda hard on the weekends when we're trin to sleep in.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Island dweller

I've had friends who had horrible experiences with those bark collars. While I haven't tried them myself I don't recommend them either. One of my friends said that the collar actually made her dog many times worse.

I think they whining will subside. I hope so. My Mikey is never in a crate but he's always whined since we got him. He's even got Maverick going a little (his whines are so half-hearted and cute from a big dog)

I think the best thing for you to do is make the crate as fun and comfortable as possible. Maybe put a hot (warm) bottle in there for him. If you have bonded with him quite a bit you could leave one of your dirty (not filthy) shirts with him so he can smell you. Possibly try the ticking clock trick. Try covering his cage to make it more den-like. Give him toys that will keep him busy. (peanut butter/kong) Also, I don't know where you have the crate set up but it would probably help if you had it near you (your bed would be great) that way he won't feel so lonely.

He's very young and probably feels quite lonely and shocked so anything you can do to make him more comfortable (without making him think you'll cater to his every need of course!) would probably help.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

ANother idea, what about a tape player with your voices, have you tried leaving a radio on? They use alarm clocks ticking for puppies so it sounds like a heart beat.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Ok, I had one more idea and don't laugh, then I'll be quiet. I had a pet mouse in a tank that my friend's dog loved to watch so much that he went out and bought his dog "a pet" of his own so he wouldn't be lonely while he went to work. The dog loved his mouse and sat in front of the tank watching while the mouse ran on the wheel and such. You could find a used tank and a good cover of hardware cloth. He wouldn't be alone, he could watch his pet and smell him too. They are not hard to care for and you would probably rescue the mouse from the fate of being a snake's dinner....