Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would say, especially with a dog of this magnitude (CASD is Central Asian Shepherd Dog, right?), that an essay is just fine. Heck, I would probably say an essay would be better, because it allows you to explain what you think makes you equipped to handle this kind of dog.

If it was a Cavalier breeder, maybe not so much, a ton of info probably isn't going to be required to see if you are capable of a breed like that.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Yes, Central Asian Shepherd Dog.

I'm mostly e-mailing to get info on the breed, not to put myself on a waiting list as my plan is to get a CASD in at least 5 years or more from now.

I want to get as many opinions out there in terms if I would be a suitable home or not, that's pretty much the gist of me e-mailing multiple breeders and see what the outcome is. If all or most say it's not a good match, then I will start looking at other breeds, if all or most say it's a good match then I will be ecstatic and pissed that i'll have to wait so bloody long, lol.

I don't want to have my heart set on a breed for so many years only to then find out i'm not the right match for them.

Also, I know which breeder I will be going to if it turns out it's a good match. I have been talking with her too but it's in my nature to go over the top when it comes down to dogs and finding as many reliable and experienced people to assess me and the breed as a pair. The more opinions the better I guess.

If many of you have sent essay e-mails and had a good outcome, then i'm going to go and press the "send" button now.

Thanks everybody.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

There's nothing wrong with long and detailed but keep it organized and to the point. I have no problem with chatting back and forth via email with a possible home, but if they send a 'and this was our third dog, buffy, growing up, she was a poodle cocker mix, they call that a cockapoo, she was brown and loved belly rubs......' then likely I'm going to wonder.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Not a Border Collie

My first emails aren't generally novels - maybe 2 paragraphs long outlining where I live, what I do with my dogs, something about Quinn, and what I am looking for in a dog. I usually go into more detail once they respond and are interested in carrying on a conversation.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
My first emails aren't generally novels - maybe 2 paragraphs long outlining where I live, what I do with my dogs, something about Quinn, and what I am looking for in a dog. I usually go into more detail once they respond and are interested in carrying on a conversation.
Exactly!

I've had some people inquire that right away I knew weren't going to be getting a puppy, and I don't like to string them along or argue details - hey if they're happy with ol'roy and a chain in the back yard great but I don't need to be giving them advice they're going to argue with for the next five years if they're not even getting a puppy! I had one who got all my info, asked a few questions, sent them more info, sounded all good, but then they saw a puppy on kijiji for $100 and bought it right away. Then started emailing with questions, the pup had this and that going on, was shy, fearful, hard to housebreak.... finally sent them to a trainer that was more local where they could pay for the help they'd get if they got a pup from me in the first place (but wouldn't likely need as much help either). Not that I don't like to help people but it's my time and energy and the 'breeder' they got the pup from should be doing more of that, or they can take the money they saved and pay for extra training and learn that way.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Kung Pow Fish

As a breeder, I would rather have a novel than a paragraph. As a buyer, I tend to ramble and send novels anyway. Iv never had someone reply with a terse return, and Iv never done that to a buyer.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I sent a small one at first, then sent a HUGE one second
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein