Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Lab Lubber

Default Bichon Frise's.. my dream dog

I have asthma that is allergy induced among other things, and I am allergic to dogs. I have five of them... but I don't really get to be the dog lover I want to be. Sometimes I have to totally avoid them for weeks because of allergies and it's really frustrating not to get to play with them or even just give them a pat on the back.

Anyway, I did some research and found out the Bichon Frise produce very little dander and are therefore a good breed for asthma/allergy sufferers.

I also read though that, and I'm posting so that I can be corrected and get the right info... they can have nuerotic disorders as a result of their breeding, and that it was in fact, not uncommon.

So, does anyone here have a Bichon and do you have any advice for me in searching for a breeder? I honestly don't know if I could incorporate such a small dog into my pack of five right now anyway, but I'd like to learn a little more on the topic all the same.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Felurian

I don't know about the Bichon - Fritz could tell you a lot about them, though. Why don't you PM him?

Another breed that's recommended for those who are allergic is a Poodle. A Standard is big enough to hold its own with other larger dogs. Poodlesmom can tell you about her two.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Renee is right - I have 2 standard poodles. They do not shed and for most people with allergies they don't cause a problem. Farley is 64 lbs & Chloe is 48 lbs. They are a very intelligent breed & a joy to train. My 2 get along with all dogs altho I would be hesitate to allow them free rein with a small breed off lead as I would be concerned of them being too rough & unintentionally hurting a little one. On-lead they are fine with the little ones and actually quite gentle, My 2 both play like boxers - using their front legs & feet alot. I keep both of mine in a short clip with no shaving - they get clipped approx every 8 wks. Their favorite things to do beside play w/each other or snuggle with me is to play fetch, swim or chase all the squirrels out of the yard. Chloe's favorite pals at obed. school are a huge german shepherd, a great pyrennes, a bernese mt. dog and a great dane - so you can be assured this breed can easily interact with the larger breeds. Farley's pals are a couple of black labs & a german shepherd.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Top Dog

I also heard yorkies don't shed. I think all dogs shed but theres a few breeds that just don't shed as much. hehe I also have allergies to dogs and cats but it's not so severe. Im only allergic to Toki when I blow dry his hair after his bath and also the perfume scent from the shampoo. I can't stand going inside grooming places and sometimes petsmart because I can smell doggy hair everywhere.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Active Pup

Hi Tine...i would keep in mind ''house-trained bichon''is an oxymoron.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Island dweller

I'm sure that bichon lovers wouldn't be happy to hear that.

I don't know anything about the breed or neurological disorders. I'll see if I can find some info for you.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Island dweller

I found this link for you http://www.bichon.org/movement.htm

It says that there are only four cases so far. I think it's a good site since a .org and represents the breed.

Hope that helps
Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Island dweller

This might help with the house training issue.

http://www.bichonfrise.org/faq.html#housetrain