Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Big Dog

Default More Problems!!

Well, The seperation thing hasn't gotten worse. I remember being told here, and other places to buy a toy and stick treats inside of it being a way to distract the dog from the fact that we're leaving. Ther's one problem, Apollo doesn't like dog treats. you have to be there and go "Good boy here you go" and give him one or he won't take it!! As for human food, he'll only eat it if it's right infront of his face, if he's got to put up effort to get it he won't he'll just snort all over it. Managed to leave him for about an hour tonight to go downtown to the hospital. But i guess he whined continuously the whole time nad i had a wet surprise downstairs ALL OVER MY FURNITURE when i came home, now... A concrete wall, is one thing.... A wooden door that's going to the dump is another thing... but when you pee on the furniture, that's just a big no-no!!!
What am i goign to do this seperation thing is driving me bonkers. How do you cure a dog of seperation anxiety if there's nothing u can do to distract him.
We don't make a big scene of it when we leave we just said "Well be back" and walk out ad when we walk in when he calms down and we're done setlling in we'll give him a couple patts on the back and say "good boy" and whatnot. But the whining, and the barking, and the peeing and it's like a zoo in here
Old 10-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Felurian

Have you tried the Kong with peanut butter?

As much as I HATE medication, you may have to talk to your vet and see if there is a mild tranquilizer he could have on a temporary basis to calm him down enough to get used to the idea that nothing bad happens when you leave and that you always come back.

Of course, before taking that drastic a step, I'd suggest a few nose to snoot talks. Yes, I'm nuts, and yep, it actually works more often than not. Sometimes you have to repeat it a few times, and even have a little reminder chat, but stranger things happen every day.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Big Dog

LOL...I do that with Chili...those "nose to snout talks." When I leave for work I always say, "I'll be back, Mommy's going to work." I figure that if I repeat it enough she'll get used to the times when I have to leave for six to eight hours at the time. Most times when I talk to her I make a point to hold her at eye level and look right in her eyes.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Have you tried the Kong with peanut butter?

As much as I HATE medication, you may have to talk to your vet and see if there is a mild tranquilizer he could have on a temporary basis to calm him down enough to get used to the idea that nothing bad happens when you leave and that you always come back.

Of course, before taking that drastic a step, I'd suggest a few nose to snoot talks. Yes, I'm nuts, and yep, it actually works more often than not. Sometimes you have to repeat it a few times, and even have a little reminder chat, but stranger things happen every day.
We showed him a kong at the pet store and one of my good friends works there and stuffed treats in it just to see what he would do (They didn't have peanut butter at the petstore ) We even put in his fave treat, Marrow bones, and he smelled it and ran away.
As for nose to snoot talks, ALL THE TIME hun... ALL the time. And he just looks at me, then when i say "Do you understand?" He looks at me then looks to the left, and then to the right and then licks me......Would a doctor prescribed medication stop the chewing, peeing, barking and whining as well? Makes me REALLY wonder what that poor dog went through to make him this way.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Felurian

It's not so much to stop the behaviour, as it is to let him be calm long enough to learn that nothing terrible happens when he's alone. A great deal of separation anxiety is, I believe, parallel to what are called panic attacks in humans, and Apollo's sound severe. When the panic abates and he starts learning that alone is okay, the destructive, noisy behaviour should start disappearing as well. You'll still have to work with him, but the point is to calm him down enough for it to get through.

By the way, just use peanut butter you get at the grocery store. Creamy or crunchy works equally well; you can even mix a little honey in with it if he has a sweet tooth - just remember, that's a LITTLE honey. You don't want him on a sugar high!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Big Dog

...I wonder if he'd like crunchy peanut butter... we have some upstairs, perhaps i should see if he likes it by putting some on a spoon first before i spend 20-30 dollars on a kong and shove it full of the stuff and have him ignore it.
IT's strange actually becuase i do'nt like to be alone either, i always either listen to music really loud, play on the computer with music really loud... But dogs can't do that
It's just so frustrating.....When he whines when he is alone it's like a high pitched squeal it's scary!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Felurian

I should have thought of this sooner! Try the Bach's Flower Remedies. I'll have to find the link, unless Serena picks up this thread and remembers the link first. That really could be the missing part of this equation.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

Have you gotten that crate yet?
Oh I don't remember the link, but Bach's Flower Remedies are great, they helped Shiner a lot with her SA.

Apollonaro, Shiner had HORRIBLE SA. She destroyed our screen doors, our draperies, our leather chair and ottoman, and broke through my glass door when she was left alone. (I'm not sure if all of that was due to SA or due to the fact that there were strangers in the yard, that she wanted to kill)
Anyway, after a lot of training and a little bit of crating when we were gone, Shiner completely overcame her SA.. And I don't think Apollo could be much worse than Shiner was.. So he, too can overcome this. It'll just take a lot of patience, the right mindset and sometimes the right tools to help you.
I don't know if Apollo will ever be reliable enough to leave loose in the house when you leave, and you might have to put him in his crate whenever you leave for very long, but it isn't that much of a hassle and once he is reliable in the crate, you can buy a bigger one. (Which is what I do.. Dakota needs a crate about 25x30" and he has one that's 42x35".. Ripley has one that is the size Dakota would normally need. I like to give them a lot of extra space in their crate, if they can be trusted not to pee or poop in there.

Also. Ripley never touches his kong until he is left alone in his crate, but it's always empty after I get back..

An alternative to peanut butter that I use are the Natural Balance dog food rolls. It smells like summer sausage, most dogs love it, and you can pack it into a kong easily, since it's pretty soft and moist. It's kind of pricey, but well worth it.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Big Dog

Wow Rip's girl, sounds like you had it reallll hard, and i thought Apollo's problem was Frustrating!!!
What exactly do the flower remedies do? And how much do they cost
Old 10-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Big Dog

UPDATE:
Finally bought crate, it's rather nice. It was a retail of 189.99 ad we got it for 89.99... Gotta love sales It's wire, is that better than metal or no? it's easily collapsable and even has a handle to carry it around when ur travelling with it! Now i just have ONE problem to overcome - WHINING lol Loud, High pitched, Frightful whining. SOunds like he got his paw cut off or something and whe u go down he just sits there and wags his tail. When we come home nad let him out now, i say "hi" and everything but i won't pet him until he stops bouncing around. i figure that, that way he'll get the impression that he is getting praised for being CALM rather than getting praised for jumping 3 feet in the air at your face to lick you lol