Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Shelter Dog

Question Aggressive towards other dogs

My dog is a small mixed dog i got from my local shelter about six months ago. She is very aggressive towards all other dogs and im at a loss as for what to do about it. since i got her from the shelter im not sure where this aggression comes from and living in such a small town i have yet to find any trainers that i can call to help me with her. i take her to the park everyday hoping that she will eventually get used to the other dogs there but there seems to be no change. she has no other problems and is very good with other people and small children. it seems to just be a territorial thing with the other dogs maybe because she had to compete with other dogs at the shelter? im not sure. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Luna2; 01-13-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Felurian

That seems to be a problem that quite a few small dogs - and small dog owners deal with - or don't deal with.

Let me say immediately: Good on you for being concerned about it! Thank you, thank you on behalf of all of us with biggies who are frustrated with small dog owners who think their dogs' aggressive behaviour is "cute" and then scream when our big dogs finally snarl after being bitten. You are on such a fancy pedestal right now in my opinion!

Probably a training class will be your best hope. A good one will get you a chance for socialization in a very controlled environment with a trainer who can give you some direct guidance.

Most big dogs are fairly tolerant of the little 'uns, but every now and then you run into one that's fed up, in ill health, or perceives the small dog to be a threat to its owner and you end up with a tragic situation.

Ten thousand blessings be upon you for having the awareness and responsibility to realize this isn't "cute" behaviour.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Island dweller

I like Renee's suggestion. I guess it would help if you knew someone with a gentle giant. I don't mean any big dog that won't find back but the kind of dog that is really good with puppies, little dogs, kids... and knows how to "educate" them. Make sure your dog is leashed whenever you are out around other dogs. If your dog is looking for trouble he might find it!

And good for you, like Renee said, for recognizing and tackling the problem.

Saje
Old 01-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Shelter Dog

thanks for the help. i am always so embarrassed at the park when we are walking and my dog is crazily barking at all these other dogs who just look at her like shes nuts! and other dog owners give me dirty looks, i always feel so bad! i keep her leashed always like you mentioned saje because i just dont trust her around dogs. My one last question would be, where can i find a doggie class in my small town? we dont even have a petsmart here! it is tragic, i have yet to find anyone who does any sort of training in my town.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Felurian

Sometimes your local vet(s) can give you a reference. That's really a pretty good place to start. An animal shelter is another place to ask. Try doing a search on the internet, too. Lots of small businesses in small towns use the internet as an affordable way to advertise.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Island dweller

I leave in a small town too. Well, smallish.

There are a couple of "trainers" here. The shelter has given me some business cards for them. They would be a good place to start asking. Or at your vets.

Also, surprisingly, our town and the neighbouring town both offer dog classes at the local recreation centre. They have tons of programs there and these classes seem to be very reasonably priced.

Just some thoughts.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:58 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

since you do not know her history, could it be possible that she has had a bad experience, been attacked in her past by another dog? I don't know what you would do to minimize such an experience. Will ask around.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Luna,
Renee has a great suggestion. The problem with dog-dog aggression is that if you don't do something about it, it will only get worse. A group class would help, as long as it was taught by a behaviorist who had lots of experience with this kind of behavior. Unfortunately there are a lot of yokel trainers out there, and again it's possible to make the behavior worse. If you know someone with a "gentle giant", I would say go for it, but let's do a little doggy psychology first. What your little pooch needs is called desensitization, a process by which you define the stimulus that's upsetting your dog and introduce him to low levels of that stimulus in a comfortable environment.
In this case, you should sit down with a pen and paper and write down everything you see when your little one aggresses. Does she seem angry? Frightened? Is she on defense or offense? Does she hunch up or stretch out? Does she try to bite or is she just barking? What is her tail doing? How does she behave just before she aggresses? Is she trying to escape the other dog, or does she go straight for them? Try to watch objectively, and quickly write down everything you see. This will help us to define that upsetting stimulus, then we can proceed.
When you've got some observations written up, you can post them here or e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll talk more about it.
Good luck! I sure hope I can help!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

lets see if i can answer everything you asked
yes he is very angry not frightened he is very stiff and in attack mode he goes right for the bite when hes in the house he just barks and growls he tail is wagging but stiff wagging medium speed he behave there is no before he goes right to kill he goes straight for them

he is a 3 year old yorkshire terrier he 20 pds and hes been like this since he was 4 months he dont like anything outside the house im use to it i just want you opinion i put up a large fence so i dont get sued and i have a couple of beware of dog signs
he also dont like children out side the house and people outside the house he ok when most of the people come in but i know right away hell growl at them so i keep him away he pretty good with kids when there in the house once he know them hes fine if i forgot anything let me know

luna sorry to butt into your thread but we are in the same situation my guy is worse so we can get help together
Old 01-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Is your Yorkie neutered?

(I assumed Luna's pooch was spayed because she came from a shelter...?)