Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Pup

Exclamation In desperate need of help about registries!!!

Hi, my name is Kila. In December of 2004, I purchased an American Pit Bull Terrier puppy. The puppy was not registered and nor were her parents. I want to register her, but am having trouble finding a registry that will allow her, because her sire and dam aren't registered. I am a little sketchy about the registries that will allow my APBT. So I am asking for your opinion. I have found the following 3 registries:

Continental Kennel Club (CKC)
United Canine Association (UCA)
American Pit Bull Registry (APBR)

I am worried that these registries may be frauds. So if you could please tell me if you know anything about any of these registries, or if you have a dog registered with one or more of them. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kila

I can be reached at [email protected]
Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Any registery that will let you register a unaltered dog who doesn't have papers is a fraud. there really is no way around that.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
F150 and a .30-06

The Candain Kennel Club will reg dog's that dont have reg parents. It's a limited regestration. It allows you to patricipate in CKC events except conformation. But it's only for CKC reconized breeds, wich a pit is not. You could contact those regestries and ask if they have anything like it.

For the CKC you need a couple pictures and a vet saying thats what it is.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Walks into Mordor

Is there a reason you want the registration? The best you can get is limited registration. It allows you to compete in certain events, like obedience and agility. But you can't register any puppies produced by the dog. If the parents aren't registered, there's not really anything you can do to get full registration.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 PM
bullie lover

What registration and papers are supposed to do is be a "guarantee" that the animal you purchased is a full purebred animal. Since you do not have a papered puppy from papered parents then there is no guarantee that what you have is an actual purebred APBT. It could be any kind of mix - regardless of how he/she may look to the eye.

As for what I know about the registries listed here - from what i have heard "American Pit Bull Registry (APBR)" is fraudulent. They will register ANYTHING a person claims is a pit bull - including blatant mixes. They are a money making scheme and their papers do not hold up in any competitive ring.

If you want a registered/papered dog? I don't think you will be able to register this one with anyone that isn't a big fraud. Best to accept it as a spayed/neutered pet. And do your research next time prior to buying a puppy from anyone else in the future.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get into weight pulling your dog does not need to be registered anywhere - it just has to have the drive to pull. Same with other organized sports as long as they aren't sponsored by any of the big kennel clubs (AKC, CKC, UKC). Research each sport individually and talk to people involved.

I wouldn't use this unpapered dog for any kind of breeding - since you have no way to "prove" it's bloodlines, temperment, health etc. Plus there are so many pit bulls out there waiting for homes, that I do not see a reason to bring in more unpapered, unproven puppies into this world.

Last edited by mojozen; 02-24-2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spell check and adding some more thoughts.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Are you dead yet?

If you are wanting to register your dog to compete in performance events, obedience agility etc. you can get an ILP from AKC. (Since it seems like over 90% of shows in the U.S. are AKC, this is probably the best way to go.)

If you're wanting to register your dog so you can say it's "papered" and breed it -- DON'T! Just enjoy your pet.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Show Dog

Unfortunately you cannot get an ILP from the AKC. The AKC will only provide an ILP to AKC-registerable breeds. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not recognized by the AKC.

http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Quigleyfied

It shouldn't be difficult to ILP a pit as a staffy if you just want to do AKC performance events.

People ILP all kinds of mutts as long as they look close enough to one accepted breed or another, regardless if the breed is even involved in a mix.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Active Pup

Well, I know that my APBT is purebred. I know this because the breeder that I got my dog from had DNA tests on both parents. Regardless, the only reason I want my dog registered, is because I want her to be legit. There are so may people around my area, who do not properly care for their APBTs in so many ways. I want to know and feel that I am completely different.

As for the breeding aspect, I do plan on breeding her once. After I have the vet's ok. All of her pups will have homes with my family members and the owner of the stud dog's family. I plan on keeping 1st pick of the litter. I am going to have her spaded after she has the pups and recovers. I love my baby girl so much and I want one of her pups badly.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:05 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruPitLver
Well, I know that my APBT is purebred. I know this because the breeder that I got my dog from had DNA tests on both parents.
DNA tests on dogs to prove breed is a relatively new science. I do not believe it is available to breeders at this time. But hey if that's what the breeder told you then that's what he told you.

Quote:
Regardless, the only reason I want my dog registered, is because I want her to be legit. There are so may people around my area, who do not properly care for their APBTs in so many ways. I want to know and feel that I am completely different.
If you treat your dog well - you do not fight her, neglect her, abuse her, or treat her as a status symbol - then you ARE different... regardless if your dog has papers or not. The fact YOU are treating this dog well will speak far louder than a piece of paper with a registry from anywhere. There are plenty of AKC registered purebreds out there who wish they had as much as that.

Quote:
As for the breeding aspect, I do plan on breeding her once. After I have the vet's ok. All of her pups will have homes with my family members and the owner of the stud dog's family. I plan on keeping 1st pick of the litter. I am going to have her spaded after she has the pups and recovers. I love my baby girl so much and I want one of her pups badly.
If you plan on breednig your dog, do please, please please please research all of the possible costs that go into breeding dogs. It is not easy. It is not cheap. It could possibly kill your dog. Make sure if you breed her you are aware of everything that could go wrong and be okay with it FIRST. If you can't stand the thought of losing your dog to the process of birthing a litter of puppies then you probably shouldn't be breeding her.

Not to mention if she's not papered and thus possibly not up to breeding standard and there's no way to "prove" her -- then she shouldn't be bred either. But That's an arguement I will leave to others to make.

Also look into drawing up spay/neuter contracts for each puppy that goes out -- regardless of who it goes to. There is an over population problem. Why add to it with even one more puppy?