Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Update on Wrigley and Luke...

Wrigley is doing quite well after almost 2 weeks. He's almost potty trained and he has begun to sleep all night, at least the last 2 nights he has. He knows he's supposed to "go" when he's outside, but we're working on not going inside. He's getting more and more used to his crate. He's really just a good growing little puppy. we're teaching him as much as we can. right now we're working on sit, lay, and down. he already knows "no" quite well. Vet checked and doing fine. I"m gonna have him neutered at 14 weeks, that's what the vet says anyway, but i might wait til about 16 or so. Dont' want to do it too early.

Luke has been doing better. As some of you know, he has the problem where he submissively urinates. Well, it's been getting better since we got Wrigley. He doesn't seem to do it as much around us or when he knows he's not in trouble. I had to get on him this morning, so he did it when i was petting him after that. But, he's at least getting better at it. We've also been working with him to stay off the couch. We're gettin new furniture, and we dont' want wrigley up there when he's an 80lbs. beast! And he's doing pretty good with it. But he still tries to sneak up there when you're not looking. He was never really a "play" dog. More of just a cuddle dog. But he plays with Wrigley, although he never initiates. He's usually forced to do it and i can't quite tell sometimes, if he's playing or really mad? He wouldn't hurt him anyway, so i suppose it doesn't matter. I have a question about neutering him....He is 6 years old. could i still neuter him? The vet said it was ok to do so, it would help decrease his chances of getting cancer as he gets older, we wouldn't "hike" his leg as much, and he won't have as much of that nasty, disgusting white stuff on his wee wee anymore. He's almost gross sometimes. Affraid to pick him up. so i'm thinking of getting it done. He's really bad about hiking his leg. When we were at the vet, he tried to hike his leg on everything, when we go for walks, that seems to be his only motivation. to pee on something. He even does it if we go to someones house and they have a dog. The vet said it wouldnt' hurt, but i just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience neutering at this age.

I have some pictures of them both, but i don't know how to post them, can anyone help me out with that? do i need a host?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Felurian

Neutering an adult is fine. It won't change his character or temperament, and your vet is right about reducing the risk of some cancers. My Bear came to me from the shelter at about that age and you have to get an animal neutered when you adopt from a shelter here. It didn't change him one bit, and it certainly didn't hurt him.

It sounds like Wrigley is a great addition and he's added a lot to Luke's life as well as yours.

When you get new furniture, you might want to seriously consider something upholstered in one of the new microfibers. They are amazing when it comes to staying clean and not staining. They're also tougher than most fabrics, but they feel very soft to the touch.

The easiest way to post photos is in the galleries. If you'll follow the link that says 'Dog Pictures' at the top of the page, then click where it says 'upload' it's easy to post. You don't need a host to post photos that way; you can just download directly from your own computer.

Can't wait to see them!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Yeah, i got a photo uploaded in the gallery. Check them out!!!

We did go with a Microfiber couch. I know they stay clean and all, but Luke's "boy juice" is just discusting. Almost everytime he gets on the couch, he leaves a mark. Not that it'll be hard to clean up, but it get's annoying everyday. that's one reason, but the other is wrigley. we've decided we don't want to allow him on the couch. an 80lbs lap dog is ok, til you have company and he's all riled up running through the house, off the backs of the furniture, you know how it is. We just decided not to let him up there. He has plenty of warm comfy places to lay. Plus, i lay on the floor with im all the time anyway. So, kind of unfair to Luke, he has to stay down now. Just because Wrigley really isnt' that bad, until he see's luke is up there. Then he wants to. I'm sure some of you won't agree with me, but it's just something we decided on. they'll both have beds in the living room to relax on. Beds are ok, because beds aren't really a 'social" place like the living room. Luke'll be fine i think. as long as he can see out the window. Our windows are low to the ground, so we just put his bed by it.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Felurian

That's a perfectly reasonable and good solution.

And yes, I DO know EXACTLY how it is . . . roflmao! I have Shiva! The 140+ pound wriggling lap puppy!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for backin me up. I have to be firm with Luke and i feel kinda bad about it, since he's always been such a lap dog. But i guess i have to be fair. Plus, the new couch and all......

Another issuie my g/f and i were just discussing. Luke never liked toys, pig ears, or anything. Now, since wrigley has a pig ear he chews on all the time, Luke likes to take it and chew on it. When wrigley wants it back, Luke growls at him. What should i do about that? should i take it from luke? We tried giving Luke one, but he wont' have it, he just want's the one Wrigley has(not while wrigley is chewing on it). After Luke growls at him, Wrigley just sits down and looks at him like "what the....man, that was mine". He'll even take it somewhere and hide, like behind the couch. I don't care if Luke gets a little rough with wrigley when he's putting him in his place(cause he won't be able to do that as easily later on), but when Luke growls about food or gets protective over anything, especially something that's not his, i dont' want that. What if a toddler were over and tried to take it? And i definately dont' want Wrigley picking that up from him. Any suggestions? Food isn't as big of a deal as it is with the pig ear or anything else. Food is only served at certain time/place. A pig ear is everywhere all thie time. Know what i'm saying?
Old 01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Felurian

Boy, do I ever! Shiva and the bones! All the bones belong to Shiva. She's obsessed with them, not just having one for herself - she doesn't want anyone else to have one. I haven't worked out a good solution to that one, other than to leave a bone for her to gnaw on by herself in the laundry room and make sure there aren't any in the house where she can find them when she's inside. When I'm gone and she's in the laundry room with her bone I go ahead and give Bimmer and Kharma theirs.

Shiva will still let me take her bone. I make sure it stays that way by periodically telling her to let me see it, taking it from her mouth, examining it and giving it back to her.

What Luke is doing is telling Wrigley who is top dog. That's not a bad thing, but you are right to want to be certain neither dog ever acts like that with a human. The best way I know of to keep that from happening is to just get them used to having you and other family members take food and anything else you want out of their mouths. Sometimes you give it back right away; sometimes you make them wait a few minutes. I always keep that practice up with mine. It's useful, too, when they've got something in that mouth and you don't know what it is!

You should see the look on peoples' faces when my hand disappears in one of my girls' big mouths!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Puppy Dog

haha! i can only imagine. Where are some pictures of your dogs? I'd like to see just how big they are. I've always been a fan of big dogs. Weims can get pretty big, but skinny. They're more tall. I used to want a great dane, til i thought about how big thier, "stool" would be. Like a cow pasture in the front yard!

Luke doesn't seem to mind when i take it from him. every now and then he'll growl at me or amy if we get near his food while he's eating. That's when i get angry. I will not tolerate that. That's the only thing. So we've been working on that. But, i'm gonna keep up with what you said, taking whatever they're chewing on just to let them know it's ok. Get them used to it. Luke only does it when Wrigley isn't chewing on it. so it's not like he's taking it from him. It's weird anyway just to see him do something besides lay around. I've never seen him chew on anything. Not even treats til lately. One of those things i guess. If Wrigley is the dominant type also, will thier be conflict when he gets bigger and realizes he can push luke around?
Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Felurian

They'll jockey back and forth for position. Sometimes it will sound like they're going to kill each other, but unless something strange happens it's unlikely they'll even really bite each other. You do have to watch and make sure things don't get out of hand sometimes.

There are some photos of my bunch in the Members' Gallery over on the Dog Pictures section of Chazhound. I've got a couple of rolls of more recent ones that I need to get processed.

You'd be amazed at how big their stools aren't eating the Innova, especially since they're on the EVO formula now. And the gas is gone (unless Shiva's stolen something and made a pig of herself)

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian