Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Would you use GPS to track your child(ren)?
Yes- I'd use either a phone or car GPS tracker, but I'd let my child know 10 26.32%
Yes- I'd use a phone or car GPS tracker, but I wouldn't tell my child 1 2.63%
Yes, I'd use either but only if there was a certain reason 12 31.58%
No, I think it shows a lack of trust 7 18.42%
No, only because it's not worth the money (or my kid doesn't have a phone/car) 0 0%
No (other reason) 6 15.79%
Candy Canes 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Would you use GPS to track your child?

It seems like a common feature on phones made "for kids" is have GPS trackers built in.

Would you use this feature to track your children?

How about the GPS tracker you can put on cars? Would you use this to make sure your child was driving their car where they said they were?

Discuss

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep

Last edited by ~Jessie~; 12-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

I don't have children and it would be scary if I did, but I'd like to think that people would have developed enough trust with their kid that they wouldn't have to do that. And if their kid isn't trust-worthy, they wouldn't give them so much freedom.
I'm sure there are exceptions, like for younger kids who walk to/from school because a parent can't pick them up, and if you're worried about abductions or something. Though I'd assume most half-intelligent child snatchers would discard of the phone.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
It seems like a common feature on phones made "for kids" is have GPS trackers on them.

Would you use this feature to track your children?
No. Just as children need to learn to make decisions on their path to independence, parents need to learn to let go and allow them that freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
How about the GPS tracker you can put on cars? Would you use this?

Discuss
No, because if the darned piece of junk got stolen I really don't want to know where it ended up. Or are we tracking the driver?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbers View Post
I don't have children and it would be scary if I did, but I'd like to think that people would have developed enough trust with their kid that they wouldn't have to do that. And if their kid isn't trust-worthy, they wouldn't give them so much freedom.
I'm sure there are exceptions, like for younger kids who walk to/from school because a parent can't pick them up, and if you're worried about abductions or something. Though I'd assume most half-intelligent child snatchers would discard of the phone.
Not only that, but do we really want to have our young kids carrying something around worth stealing?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I wouldn't use either of them, because I feel it shows a lack of trust. If I didn't trust my child, no way would I let them drive a car.

If your child really wanted to make it look like they were somewhere when they weren't, they could always give their phone to a friend. Like, you could tell your mom you were sleeping at Johnny's house. Then you could leave your phone in his room and still go wherever you wanted.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Yes and no....I would never have one with the purpose of "tracking" them...to me that is just wrong.

However, many phones and many cars DO come with it already equipped and I would use it in case of emergency, like if they are missing or something (not hey they are supposed to be at this friends house but are somewhere else instead but actually missing)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

though honestly, if they had little trackers that I felt were safe t ostick in a pocket or something I wold consider it for my 5 year old. NOthing to do with trust and all to do with him being a natural born wanderer who pays no attention to his surroundings and trusts everyone. Taking him to crowded places is scary
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Yes and no....I would never have one with the purpose of "tracking" them...to me that is just wrong.

However, many phones and many cars DO come with it already equipped and I would use it in case of emergency, like if they are missing or something (not hey they are supposed to be at this friends house but are somewhere else instead but actually missing)
I totally agree. I'd use it in that case as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Are you dead yet?

I'd only do it if I let them know, and if they were under a certain age. Otherwise I think it shows a horrible lack of trust.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't use it.

My mother went through my things, my bedroom, my journals, notebooks, etc. all the time when I was a child.

Now I'm 22, and I recently found out she's been taking my cell phone when she has the chance to look through my text messages. I wouldn't be surprised if she logs on to my facebook or email, as well.

I've for the most part never lied to my parents, and the only times I did lie, I wasn't doing anything wrong or that I wasn't allowed to do, I just didn't want their freakin' nosy selves knowing everything about my life. I've never been in any kind of legal trouble, done any hard drugs or been a serious partier or had problems like that, I wasn't sexually active until after I turned 18, my friends were all seriously academically inclined, straight edge, also not sexually active. I'm sure if my mom could have installed a GPS in my car at that point, she would have. I don't think I realized how completely invasive of my privacy and untrusting she was until recently, because she never made any strict rules or gave me a hard time about where I was or who I was with. She's just NOSY.

I'd rather do something like check with other parents that someone will be supervising them, limit their ability to hang out with friends who I think are untrustworthy, etc. And hopefully by the time my kid is old enough to drive they're responsible enough not to do something stupid - and if they're not, well, good luck buying themselves a car and paying for gas.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com