Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
When I worked at the bonding company, one of the female agents was working on filing some of the new clients' info sheets and pics.

She was going through them, looking at which ones were single, saying, "this one looks hot . . . "

I just looked at her.
....And that's why America has a 50% divorce rate. lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

They are usually women with issues and its sad to watch They look for a man that is unavailable and usually if he gets out it doesn't last long.

No, your in jail, why should you get to have sex. You are there to be punished and part of that is that you are not alone with your so. Sorry. You screwed up. If your other half waits around great for you, but it gives you both time to think I guess.

Not breaking the law so you don't go to jail is supposed to make you have good behavior.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
For good behavior...I'm completely fine with it.
Me too, perhaps if prisons offered "conjugal visits" as payment for good behavior then maybe they would get less "prisoners behaving badly"

Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Obey the Toad.

I'm fine with it when used as an incentive for good behavior. Also, if we are talking about people who where married before the spouse went to prison, intimacy can help keep the marriage together for the long haul if the guy gets out. If someone is going to be released it makes sense to me that the more they have to come home to the more incentive they have to stay out of trouble.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
SevenSins

I'm all for conjugal visits as a reward for good behavior in prison, regardless of why the offender is locked up. No, prison is not a luxury hotel, and it may seem as if the most logical solution is to simply lock offenders up in a cell without luxury items like TV sets or positive reinforcement (particularly those serving LWOP or are on death row for violent crimes...after all, it isn't as if they're there to be rehabilitated and released), but it's not that simple and creates an even more dangerous environment for the corrections officers, fellow inmates, and others that work in the prison than is already inherently there.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
No, your in jail, why should you get to have sex. You are there to be punished and part of that is that you are not alone with your so. Sorry. You screwed up. If your other half waits around great for you, but it gives you both time to think I guess.

Not breaking the law so you don't go to jail is supposed to make you have good behavior.
But isn't the goal (or shouldn't the goal) of jail to make it so people don't commit more crimes?

If so shouldn't fixing people be the plan. Punishing them and making them harder and less likely to reintegrate is only going to push them to more crime..
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Then educate them. Many reoffend. I do t think the visits stop it. It's been shown many many programs and follow ups don't stop them from reoffending.

I'd think knowing they can keep seeing the wife on the inside alone is like "why not".

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Just try me..

actually if you look at places (countries) that have much better rates of non reoffending.. its not about punishment its about teaching them to be good citizens.

It has been shown over and over again that the 'punishment' aspect only makes things worse. Its not that it should be easy, but if your goal is to fix the person..

Its hard to take when someone does something 'bad' and then they are seen as not being punished. But people are animals too. Punishment rarely works the way we want it too.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I am all for it when it is used as a good reward. We NEED to focus on rehabilitation instead of incarceration.

I know I've said it a thousand times before and I'll say it again: across the border, so so many, if not most offenders have a sad history. No, not growing up poor or simply having it rough, these are men (and women) who fall through the cracks. People who stopped
to school in 6th, 7th, 8th grade. They don't have a future to support themselves and a lot of them don't have the mental capabilities to even comprehend. We need to give them tools to succeed in life, and even if it is something as stupid and silly as rewarding good behavior with a night with their wife then so be it. They need to be taught what it means to be a good citizen as nobody ever cared to show them before.

Now, obviously that doesn't include each and every offender across the board. However, this is what I deal with at work, all our clients are bad boys with sentences usually ranging from 20 to 120 years - we rarely get the smart, educated guy in who just did x to further himself quickly as easy as possible.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Felurian

Those years working with criminal defense taught me one thing -- there are more people in prison for stupid than because they are -- or WERE -- actually "bad."

Sure, there are some real criminals, sociopaths and psychos in there, but I saw a whole lot more stupid, for whatever reason -- and I do agree with Jules -- than I saw of the evil sort.

I agree with Dekka too. It's pretty obvious that our prison system does one thing well -- it makes more criminals, and they tend to be more desperate, violent and callous when they get out.

I don't know what the answers are, but I can't see that there's any concerned or concerted effort being made to look for any. I guess because it's easier to get re-elected on a "lock 'em up and throw away the key to keep you safe" platform?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian