Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Nia doesn't care about the cold at all. In fact she gets a bit more hyperactive running around without overheating. She doesn't care for rain though and if it's really hot, that's what gets to her. Because she can't run like crazy without overheating and it seems to depress her hahaha.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Big Dog

My dog dislikes it when it gets down around 0... maybe below 10 even. But put some booties and sweater on her, and she's good to go. It's warmed up to the low 20s now, and she's fine going on walks and playing without anything on.

Her feet do get cold, and she will let me know. Part of it is that she had a TPLO, and the metal plate bothers her in extreme conditions.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Zander would prefer spending all his time outside in the snow. H's really just built for it, even if he does get snow balls under his nails and between his pads. He doesn't seem to care.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Boo is a snow dog. The only thing I sense that she really doesn't like are the little snowballs that get caught in her coat and pull at her fur.

Of course, I look forward to the three days per year when it actually gets cold enough to put her cute little coat on her and strut her around the neighborhood to show it off

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

This is pretty much how mine feel about snow:

(That's Bubbles LOL)

They LOVE it. It's the only time I can let them out in the yard and they actually run and chase each other without my getting them to do so. They dig, roll in it, lay in it, everything. And luckily they don't get stuff stuck in their fur. It all just rolls off. It's awesome. Though we haven't gotten that much snow since we've been back in PA, so I would be interested to see how they do in a real blizzard.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

Henry strongly dislikes the cold. He's another dog (like Webby) who can never be too warm. He will also sun himself in the direct summer heat. He turns into the cuddle monster in the fall and winter.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Silence, peasants.

Wesley swims in the ocean in the middle of winter, while it's snowing. Then he shivers the whole way home, but it's tough to keep him from jumping into the ocean. I guess he truly does not understand the cause and effect of this. So, um, he kind of feels it?

He was a winter puppy, so he really loves snow. He'll shove his face in it and then kick his back legs to go forward, like a snow plow.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Bodhi can swim in the river in winter and still want more. Fred has to wee in the rain and he's shivering. He's such a pansy!!!

Will he man up as he grows? Or will he always need special treatment. He is much happier going out in his coat.
He probably wont. I would get him warmer coats when he's an adult and refuse to baby him over it, but that's about the best you'll be able to do. If he's cold, he'll be cold and miserable. If he is wearing a warm coat and makes the decision to be miserable, he'll be miserable over it.

Middie is not a big fan of the cold, but will go play in snow and go on walks in cold rain without issues.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Staffords melt in the rain, and don't take cold very well. With mine, I have found that they don't mind it as much when they are young, and I don't put coats on them unless it's below freezing, or if they are having to sit in low temperatures for a long time, then be physically active. But about middle age, they start feeling the cold a lot more, and we make more extensive use of the coats.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Henry strongly dislikes the cold. He's another dog (like Webby) who can never be too warm. He will also sun himself in the direct summer heat. He turns into the cuddle monster in the fall and winter.
Yup, Webby sleeps *under* the covers all winter. Many covers. I have no idea how he doesn't suffocate.
Though when he is actually stuck out in it, he does make the most of it...

Though he prefers to wear a manly coat.

The girls...well...

Oh and Brie? Brie hates cold and snow.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13