Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
swimming upstream

Wilson shivers in the house--and outdoors. He burrows under the blankets at night.
Baxter--if he is out for a run in the woods (i.e. letting his nose get a good sniff on...) he doesn't feel the cold. If he is just going out to pee--he prances like a little girl. But he never shivers like Wilson does. I leave throw blankets around for the poor boy!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Mutts to you

Murphy's view on cold weather...

Riley's view...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Meg hates the cold. She has many different coats, because I still spend a fair amount of time outside in the winter, and she gets by fine, but she'd be happy hibernating any time it got below 30 or so.

Gusto's an idiot. He has far less coat than Meg and zero body fat, but he *adores* being out in the snow. I have no idea how he manages it. He's less impressed with rain however.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Definitely...especially Chulita. They both get the shivers when it's particularly cold. Chulita always burrows under blankets, even in the summer. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Basenjis are from the Congo...so that pretty much sums up how Watson feels about cold, snow, and rain.

Menchi is more cavalier about it all, but she does not like getting her toes wet or cold.

Watson wears a coat if we are out for longer than 10 or so minutes in temperatures below freezing.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
overdogged

The pit bulls are wearing fleece in the house these days and Mushroom is sleeping under a blanket at night (in his fleece).

Steve I do put a coat on when he's going to be sitting for a long time somewhere cold (Crated at flyball tournaments, crated in my car, etc) but otherwise he doesn't wear one. He'll swim when there's snow on the ground and not think anything of it, though I do slap a coat on him right afterward.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Murphy's view on cold weather...

Riley's view...
This is so cute.

Sally has never really felt the cold. When she was younger we'd be out for hours in sub-zero temperatures playing in the snow (I was like eight when we got her). The only thing that ever bugged her was when the snow would clump in her feet.

Seamus shivers occasionally but not all that much. I think I'm going to invest in some fleece for him this year.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Kim and Mira both love the snow. Kim's coat is this insane teflon impervious super-insulated body armor and she loves nothing more than a good roll in snow and burrowing into a snowbank. Mira doesn't have an undercoat but she is some sort of thermal reactor and stays warm out of sheer enthusiasm. She thinks breaking a layer of ice on water is invigorating.

Webster doesn't get cold, exactly, so much as he believes he can never be too warm. He will sun himself on a 100 degree day. So in his mind, winter is evil.

I don't know about Cookie...hasn't gotten cold enough to find out. I suspect she'll have the same approach as Mira.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Allons-y!

Mine don't really seem to feel the cold much (well, Newton does a bit, but he's still a baby with no fluff). They looove winter and have way more energy than in the summer. Cricket in particular is a snow dog - she loves going cross-country skiing with me and happily splashes through icy streams, despite my best attempts to keep her out of them. All of them, however, are big babies when it comes to getting ice in their paws; they will pitifully limp along on three legs until I come fix it. They do have coats but only seem to need them when it's very cold out (when the temperature dips to around zero) or if they're going to be standing around in the cold for long periods of time. They are less impressed by rain.

Skiing (the big red beast is my friend's dog)

My dignified regal creatures

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Milo loves to run around and play in the snow, but he is sensitive to the cold, he shivers if he's out for very long.

My fosters were kind of the same way...loved to play in the snow, but they'd be shivering, and HATED the rain.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com