Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Getting a Dog to Take Meds...

My aunt has a 9 year old Maltese that has some sort of bad injury to her back end that is being operated on after the holidays. My aunt is bringing the dog up for Christmas and was asking me how to get her to take meds when she doesn't feel like eating. My dogs have always taken their meds in just about any "people" food very easily, even when they watch me out the pills inside, and some of the meds Jack will just eat straight. This goes when they are ill or in pain as well-basically if they are in bad enough shape not to want to eat, they are at the vets so I don't have to worry about meds.

I suggested crushing up the pill, mixing it in applesauce, and squirting it in her mouth with a small syringe. Would that work? Does anyone have any suggestions for administering meds to a small, unwilling dog in pain?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
& the Muttly Crew

For me it just depends on the dog and what works for him/her. With Kim I mashed it and put it in her food and she ate it fine.

Webster refused that after his neuter/hernia repair so for him I just put the pill in the back of his throat and he swallowed it, then rewarded with a treat. If I just handed it to him he would spit the pill out...had to put it in the back of his throat so he had to swallow it. But he would come running when the pill bottle came out and get all excited...goofy dog.

Cookie won't eat her dinner if the meds are in it...she'll eat fish oil pills and vit c pills so these much just make her food taste bad. I put a dab of peanut butter on each one and hand them to her one by one (she gets 4 in the evening alone...) and she gobbles them right down. The peanut butter is delicious and sticky/smeary enough that she focuses on swallowing that and doesn't seem to mind the pill accompanying it.

Mira's never needed pills for anything so I'm not sure what would work best for her.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
*Now with Snark*

I don't know how I always ended up with toy poodles named Peaches who didn't want to take their godforsmackin heart meds but there were a ton of them that I dealt with one Holiday season. This is a trick a vet tech showed me to get dogs to take pills they otherwise refused to eat cheese/lunchmeat.

Take small dog. Put on table. Open dog's mouth. Toss pill to the back of the dogs tongue. Hold mouth shut, blow on dog's nose/eyes. They will reflexively swallow unless the godforsmackin pill gets stuck to their tongue. If the dog is not great about having it's mouth messed with they make these little plastic pill poppers for dogs to get it into the back of their mouth.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Little dog, big voice

I always smash up Cali's joint supplement and put it in a little bit of cream cheese.. she eats it without hesitation. Prior to that, I had tried quite a few things to no avail.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Good luck. Anything you do for Rosey, she brogs you back the pill/pieces 5 minutes later. Even if you shove it at the back if her throat and make her swallow. **** dog.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

With Jackson, I have to put the pill very hidden inside a piece of hard cheese or hot dog. I then have to close his mouth shut until he swallows, or else he will spit it out, LOL. He also likes Pill Pockets. Those tend to be easiest, and he never even knows there's a pill in there.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Behavior Nerd

Depending on the medication, crushing can be problematic: 1. because the pill is designed to be dissolved slowly to be effective and/or 2. the crushed pill tastes horrible, so it's always best to ask a vet before crushing.

You might also see if the medication can be compounded at a pharmacy where they can turn it into a flavored liquid.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Pill pockets are our secret weapon here. Also helps if I give a plain tiny piece to all of them and meds to the one who needs it.

I'm with Stardogs, I would make sure the medicine would still be effective cut up or crush, sometimes they are not. I have mixed meds in before with wet dog food (the stinkier the better) and the cats we did meat baby food. And worse comes to worse you do the whole shove to the back of the throat thing.

Though you could luck out. My Kiba loves liquid amoxicillin and will lap it right off the syringe and let me put it in her mouth no problem lol.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
such sights to show you

For a dog that isn't eating, you'll most likely just have to just pop it in as described above. But I like to make a little burrito out of it with a small piece of lunchmeat first for two reasons: 1. It hides the taste of the medication (if there is one) 2. It makes a nice, streamlined, slimy little package that just slides down the hatch once you get it in.

Another trick is to very gently touch or tap the nose after you have closed the mouth after putting the pill burrito in. Almost all dogs (and cats!) will reflexively lick their nose and swallow after you do so, helping prevent those spit-out pills.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Felurian

I've done the pilling thing so often, lol.

But it's a lot less trouble (unless I'm just in a hurry) to bury it in a spoon of disgusting, stinky cat food. I've yet to meet a dog, no matter how finicky, who won't go for the cat food.

Peanut butter, cream cheese, a piece of those little Hillshire Farms sausages have worked well too, but the cat food has been a no-fail.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian