Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default How do you know if water is safe for swimming?

There is a big local park around where I walk dogs.. and there is a big pond/body of water.

There are swans/ducks and dogs are allowed (at the park, not sure about the pond) but I haven't been here during warmer weather and was wondering.. how do you know if a pond is ok for dogs to swim in? I'm worried about health stuff, pond scum, biting fish lol I dunno

Not for the dogs I walk obviously lol I was just curious how bodies of water are determined to be safe.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My person all rule is if ducks are in it, my dog can be in it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Autocorrect...personal.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

After watching that Monsters Inside Me show on Animal Planet..I'm never swimming again .

Sorry that's not helpful .

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
After watching that Monsters Inside Me show on Animal Planet..I'm never swimming again .

Sorry that's not helpful .
Lol I meant for dogs.. CERTAINLY NOT for me!

Natural bodies of water other than the ocean creep me out
PLUS IT'S GREEN!
and geese are big..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM
treehugging clicker freak

That's a good rule to go by Jess lol I never thought of it that way. If it looks to scummy I say no.... Your park looks very nice If they were allowed, I would probably allow it
I always stop and consider.. would I be able to go in after her if there was an emergency? o.O

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
My person all rule is if ducks are in it, my dog can be in it
LOL...I'm the opposite. If ducks are in it, (well....too many ducks and geese especially) my dogs don't go in. All that poo floating around. eeewwwww.

That water doesn't look too bad though.

My Lab was terrible. When off leash, she'd just head for any water and I just let her. Sometimes it was pretty gross and she got hosed off when we got home. I liked the big lake I lived near. It was really clean. But she went in ponds on the golf course and in ditch water by my house and in my creek. The creek wasn't bad, but had some shallow, muddy places.

It's fun to have a dog that enjoys swimming, but extra work for us....rinsing if needed, drying etc. My Lab took forever to dry.

Well, I bet you're looking forward to all this fun. It's nice you're looking ahead of time for neat things to do.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
That's a good rule to go by Jess lol I never thought of it that way. If it looks to scummy I say no.... Your park looks very nice If they were allowed, I would probably allow it
I always stop and consider.. would I be able to go in after her if there was an emergency? o.O
This. If I wouldn't want to go in it because of the murky bottom or silt on the bottom, whatever, I don't let them in. If other dogs are in, I usually will, or geese or ducks, I figure it's safe enough, but sometimes even if they are, if I'm not willing to jump in to save them, I don't let them. I've had to jump in one too many times to not consider it a strong possibility. (Or maybe Ozzy is just a terrible swimmer )
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Some of the nastiest bodies of water I've ever seen were frequented by geese or ducks, so they usually put me off.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
orange iguanas.

Ask other people. lol.

Our dog park has a disgusting pond. There are signs up warning about the high levels of e. coli found in it. Ask anybody at the park what they think about the pond and you are almost guaranteed they will say DON'T DO IT. And then tell you about how their dog got wicked diarrhea from it or something. And the vets here advise against that pond, too.

(Of course, I disregard rules and Juno still goes in it).

That's my personal, fool proof (obviously!) method.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013