Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Smile Your Opinions?

I'm quite bored (and curious), at the moment, and this question just kind of bubbled up into my head. And I'm unsure of whether this is the right area to post this, but oh well.

So, what are your guys' opinion about breeding dogs specifically for sport? Let's say, hypothetically, there is an Aussie breeder that breeds dogs for Flyball. These dogs have flyball titles only, and their purpose is to be a flyball dog. Assume that these dogs are health tested and all of them are cleared. What is your opinion on this?

I'm sorry if that didn't make sense, ahaha. The question popped into my head out of nowhere...

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

I don't see a problem with it, if they are an otherwise ethical breeder. Preferably, even if I was looking for specifically a flyball or agility pup, I would want a more diverse breeder who's dog's were titled in multiple outlets, but that's a personal decision.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

As long as they've been health tested and such, why not? I mean, that's really all it ever is.... they are bred for a specific purpose. As long as they aren't doing anything that could cause harm to the puppies, there are certainly buyers out there.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Twin 2

I'm perfectly ok with it. I mean, I don't think every sport breeder is ethical or someone I would go to but the idea of breeding for sport doesn't bother me in the least.

I would say I prefer them to be structurally sound and have a solid temperament. But I also understand what someone that wants to be competitive sees as a solid temperament might vary from the person who wants a good all around pet.

So pretty much, I have no issue with breeding for sport as long as the same care is given as breeding for anything else. I also don't have an issue with breeding crosses for sport.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

I have no problem with anyone breeding for sport - as long as they are honest about that, health tested the dogs, and have a clear goal in mind for not only what they want to produce, but the sort of homes the dogs should go to.

I have issues with people mixing and muddling with things, and dressing it up as something special, though. Like many of the designer breeds out today. "Oh, they make great -insert whatever here-!" And then they go to crappy homes that just keep breeding them with no actual goal or anything in mind. THAT is what I have issues with.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Aussie Obssessed

In order to breed to the breed standard an Aussie breeder MUST test their dog's on stock. Strong herding instinct is listed as part of our breed standard, as long as they are doing that and are keeping that instinct alive and are also being honest and upfront with people that they only breed dogs for flyball I have no problem with it.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
In order to breed to the breed standard an Aussie breeder MUST test their dog's on stock. Strong herding instinct is listed as part of our breed standard, as long as they are doing that and are keeping that instinct alive and are also being honest and upfront with people that they only breed dogs for flyball I have no problem with it.
I honestly know almost nothing about Aussies. This question was purely hypothetical and I just picked the first dog breed and dog sport that came to my head, although I do agree about keeping the dogs original purpose alive.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

I don't mind it at all. If it's done responsibly and honestly (health testing etc.. and of course homes for puppies who DO NOT show potentials for that sport) then I don't see an issue.
Showing is also "a game/activity"..yet people don't seem to have issue with breeding for that.

I don't even mind if they are tested on stock or not. It's not possible for all breeders (cities, less and less places with sheep, time constraints, other interests etc..) and frankly, come on.. how much of a joke are most of those instinct tests anyway? Chasing sheep? YOU PASS! and how many homes these days are going to be working sheep?

I wouldn't expect a dal breeder to test out their dogs carriage chasing instincts or a bulldog breeder to test out their bred-for instincts etc.. so it's not like it's just a herding dog thing for me lol

While they are a herding breed and I would hope some effort is put forth to keep that instinct... personally, it's not really a thorn in my side if they don't and certainly wouldn't put me off the breeder completely.
The fact that the breeder I chose now tests the puppies herding and herds with her adult dogs seriously had ZERO influence on the fact that I picked her honestly lol so who am I to tut-tut other breeder for not doing it?
I was way more interested in her show career, obedience, agility, and general temperament than I was on sheep. And I wouldn't blame a breeder for deciding to fore-go it all together and focus their interests (and funds and time) on something their breeding program is actually working toward..

but yes..honestly with the buyer is paramount. If you don't test your dogs on sheep don't claim they have herding instincts or would make good sheep dogs.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
but yes..honestly with the buyer is paramount. If you don't test your dogs on sheep don't claim they have herding instincts or would make good sheep dogs.
They should make sure to make no claims that they are breeding "to better the breed" either cause they are not.

Am I being snarky, yes. Preserving the use of this breed as dog that is able to work is a passion of mine and sometimes it gets to me when people say that the hard work I put into my dogs essentially is useless.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
They should make sure to make no claims that they are breeding "to better the breed" either cause they are not.
This as well. I do not approve of claims of "bettering the breed" or breeding "purebred dogs" if they actually have NOTHING to do with breed at all.

You can't claim to breed the best Siberians, for example, and then produce wooly's, conformation trainwrecks and poor temperament that is ONLY suitable for pet homes. Nope.

Same with herding breeds. Don't claim to be breeding the best of the breed if you aren't actually interested in keeping the breed qualities.