Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Taco Dog

Default Doberman or Rottweiler

In a few years, once we have our own place and are settled in nicely, I want to purchase a Dobe or Rott from a good breeder. I love their looks and their personality. I know the personality is one you have to work with more than some other breeds, but I am willing to do that.
I don't know which one would be the most fitting for us, but instead of giving you info you didn't ask for... Tell me what is required most for each breed. Then I can kind of pick which one would be most suited for me.
Keep in mind that I will still have Roxy and will hopefully be a mother by this time, so there will also be children around.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
but please call me Aus.

Here is some good info on each breed:

Doberman Pinscher
Rottweiler
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
rottiegirl

I personaly think that both breeds are very similar. I prefer rotties, because I just like the way they look, but they do shed more. I had a rottie/dobe mix and she was great with kids, cats (as long as they didnt run), other dogs, and people. She was pretty hyper and she became destructive a few times. As long as you socialize at a young age, they are great family dogs. My dog protected my home and myself. I dont know about dobes, but rotties tend to be a one person dog.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Show Dog

I had a rottie/pit mix. He was great with Female dogs, didn't like cats or small animals. I had to keep him seperated from my minpins. Also he wasn't raised around small children and he looked at them strange when small kids did come around so I watched him really closely!! I know all that was my fault though as my kids were pre-teens when we got him and I have only had the small dogs for the last 3 years. I wouldn't have picked a different dog though if I had it to do again, He was very loyal to the whole family, yes more so to me but still could see the love he had for the rest of them.
I never had a dobe, but they are my favorite breed, but Hubby says no more big dogs!! So I'll stay with the MinPins not dobes but do have the look.

TO LOVE AND BE LOVED IS LIFES GREATEST TREASURE
Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Daisy May

I had a female doberman, and she was great with my little dog, and i have 2 little sisters and the dog was good with them also. They are very protective of their family tho, i guess thats not a horrible thing, and there great watch dogs. On the other hand they tend to have dry skin, so they flake alot. Well atleast my dobie did. Rotties are also good family dogs, it all depends on what one fits your family better.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Felurian

Both are great breeds when well bred and raised in a loving home. Just follow your heart on this one, Ash.

And Minis! Tell your hubby you want a Fila . . . by the time he gets through looking at them he'll realize a Dobe is NOT a large dog

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-22-2006, 06:29 PM
<------

lol even better renee, tell him to look at a newf
Old 02-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

The following is my opinion but somethings you might consider:

Rotts are..... Biggerv(good or bad is up to you), Shed more, tolerate cold better*, discriminated against more, more laid back (my experience), drool more, more intimidating to the bad guys.

I am Biased because I have owned three WONDERFUL Rotties and loved them dearly so I would vote for Rotties as best choice. On the other hand I have never met a Dobe that I didn't like; they seem to be great dogs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

*If you like winter sports or hiking in the winter the Rott is the clear choice, they handle cold better than any short haired dog I have ever seen. The Soviets used them in their Gulag System in Siberia.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

With children in mind... just make sure that either breed has no aggressive issues in their background.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
With children in mind... just make sure that either breed has no aggressive issues in their background.
That goes with any breed