Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Active Pup

Default potty training

ok have about a ten week old lab and have week working on the training thing.
i put him in crate when i leave let him out when i get there and go outside. he good and goes outside when i take him. a couple questions?
1) how often when im there and hes loose should i let him out?
2) at night he sleeps next to the bed. sometime in the morning he gets up and "relieves himself" right by my door. how do i stop this?

i know he is still young and accidents do happen but i would like to start out right. he is smart. already knows how to sit and im starting to teach how to lay down. 1/2 way there. so i know he can learn. sometimes when my mom gets there b4 me i know she just opens the door and walks away. she doesn't go and work with him. so this is holding me back.
we also have a min. dauch. who isn't helping matters out. now that there is another dog he is marking and isn't really trained himself. (its my mothers dog) im working with mine. any help is usefull. thnks
Old 01-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Well, a ten week old puppy will not be able to hold his bladder for long. By him going by the door, is a good sign that he tried to tell you in some way that he needed to go out. That's a good thing. I would let him out right before you go to bed. I would also pick up his water dish by at least 7:00 pm every night. If he's drinking or eating up until his bedtime, you can be sure he'll need to relieve himself in the middle of the night.

You might want to start paper training him as well. Put some papers down on the floor and teach him to go there if he needs to.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Active Pup

i never thought about picking up water at the end of the day. good idea.
and i go to work at 8, come home at 12 and let him out. put him back in and out again about 5. so he isn't in there too long. thnks
Old 01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Island dweller

Four hours might be too long for a pup to hold his bladder. Although, I guess if he's already doing it then he is learning quickly.

My pup peed every couple of hours.

Does he sleep in the crate next to your bed?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Hum....they could go potty as frequent as every 3 hours.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Active Pup

Does he sleep in the crate next to your bed?

no when i get home i let him out. he actually sleeps next to or under the bed.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Island dweller

Well, if he slept in the crate, next to your bed, then he wouldn't be peeing by the door in the morning. You could set an alarm and wake up early and let him out to pee. The crate should be his safe place, his den so if he has positive experiences with it he will learn to like sleeping in it.

Saje
Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Active Pup

I am also a new puppy owner. I have a 2 and half month old st. bernard. I am also new at training and want to train her the right way...first. I have been working on potty training and need more help. I have taken the advice of no water after 7pm and trying to take her out every 2hrs. Thanks for all input.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Island dweller

Here's some useful websites:

http://www.dogstuff.info/crate_train...ule_riley.html

http://www.drlarrypetvet.com/unleashed_crate.htm

Renee is the QUEEN of great websites and I'm sure she'll have a great one up her sleeve when she stops by.

I think a good thing to mention with crate training is that the crate is his den/safe place. That means that when he's in there he can relax and not be bothered. Later you can leave the door open and he can go in their for a "timeout" from children... when he chooses.

Also, since you have such a big dog you'll probably need several cage sizes as your pup grows up. Just something to keep in mind. There may be a way around that.

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about this. Just sharing what I've read.

Saje
Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Felurian

It sounds like you're off to a great start. Restricting his water intake at night should help a lot.

The behaviour of your Mom's dachsund is going to be a problem, but you've already got that figured out. Is your Mom going to address this, or is it your problem to deal with too?

A source of information that will help you throughout your life with dogs (Eureka! There's the title for the story I'm working on!) is the Monks of New Skete. www.dogsbestfriend.com

They have several books and videos. I think you'll like their philosophy and outlook.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian