Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog
And of course, like all of dog attack story, this is missing WAY too much info.

They family was all there in the living room when it happened.
The dog attacked "out of no where"
The dog didn't have any signs of aggression for 10 years

These things don't add up. What was the rest of the family doing? What was the kid doing? They didn't answer those two VERY important questions. It makes pit bulls look like versious killers that will strike any where and time no matter how well you think you know them.
I agree we are missing something here....It just doesn't add up. People are trying to cover their butts and mean while they are making pit bulls look crazy.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:45 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
On the other hand, any dog that goes for a baby's face should probably be put down. The owners are unlikely to want it and, frankly, why should it get to live when thousands of dogs who haven't bitten a child are being killed for lack of a home every day? Maybe it'd be worth it to rehab and rehome the dog if there wasn't such a surplus, but as things stand, I think it's wrong to spend time and money on a dog with that history.
i think anything alive deserves its chance to live! we dont know all the circumstances, there is a good chance the dog was provoked. why can a person kill 30 people and get life in jail, but a dog is hit, kicked or provoked in some way, reacts or defends itself and is killed. its just wrong.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:46 AM
BusterLove

PS Amstaffer, I love Saladin, he is beautiful!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
i think anything alive deserves its chance to live! we dont know all the circumstances, there is a good chance the dog was provoked. why can a person kill 30 people and get life in jail, but a dog is hit, kicked or provoked in some way, reacts or defends itself and is killed. its just wrong.
The problem is, while humans can support themselves and live alone and (potentially) rehabilitate themselves, dogs can't. They require owners who will care for them, train them and take all responsibility for their actions. And while so many dogs are being killed only because they're ownerless - their original owners died, they were hard to housebreak, they barked a lot, their owner moved, the landlord threw them out, their owner lost his job, the kids are allergic, etc., etc. - I have no problem with putting a dog to sleep because he bit and is as a result ownerless. Retraining a dog who's learned the effectivness of biting is hard, and the dog retains that knowledge all his life, making the responsibility of ownership that much greater. It's different if the dog's owner is a decent person willing to take on the task and keep the dog safely controlled around others. But if the dog is ownerless, it's both impractical and unfair to give him the same shot at a new home as a dog whose only behavioral problem involves housebreaking.

Re: the possibility that the dog was provoked - the dog was a grown dog who knew he was bigger and stronger than the baby, and who had the option of leaving the baby alone if it was hectoring him. I might buy the idea of a provoked attack in some cases - a tied dog tormented by 10-year-old boys, for example. But it's odd for a grown dog to attack a baby in his own family, it goes against the instinct to pull your punches that keeps puppies safe from adult dogs. Maybe there is something to the story we're not hearing (the mother certainly sounds like a winner), but I think it's ominous that whatever was going on in that house, the dog attacked the weakest creature available.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose
Because we bred them to work for us and serve us...not attack us (well most of them anyway). As sad as it is to put a dog down, it would be sadder to see that woman's baby dead. Honestly, no matter how bad the training was, a pit bull should never bite people.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Puppy Dog

PS: The dogs that are mistreated and bite can be rehabilitated but there's not enough people capable of handling those problem dogs so really euthanization is more humane. Now if you could euthanize stupid people that don't treat their animals well...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Fila Love

It was very unprofessional to make this comment during the conversation. She should be reprimmanded, but not fired. How can you have a dog and not know what breed it is? Not a very close dog and human relationship. How could a group of people in the same room with a child and dog, let this happen? They are STUPID people!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Wubba Wuv!

the mother is just upset that the dispatcher was right, she should not have left her kid unattended with a dog around, now the disp. should not have said it but i mean c-mon, the mother had it coming, maybe now the mother will be more cautious from now on.

Seeing Eye Human
Bubba now has a Youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEnu7AB5-WHSPJqjP4OK0g
subscribe cause i'll be adding vids all the time!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Wubba Wuv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
The problem is, while humans can support themselves and live alone and (potentially) rehabilitate themselves, dogs can't. They require owners who will care for them, train them and take all responsibility for their actions.
just fyi dogs are made to survive on their own, if they were made to live in houses or in kennels and be fed by humans then there would be no dogs on this earth today, one example... a wolf or coyote perhaps... i dont see any humans running out into the woods and pouring a bag dog food out there for them. dogs were originally wild, then humans came along and domesticated them.

Seeing Eye Human
Bubba now has a Youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEnu7AB5-WHSPJqjP4OK0g
subscribe cause i'll be adding vids all the time!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

domesticated dogs are not made to survive on their own.