Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
rottiegirl

Why was the dispatcher asking what kind of dog it was? Does the breed really matter?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
<------

I would like to take this moment to say that a dogs temperment is 1 part heritage and 2 parts what you make it.

And in addition, any animal is unpredictable
Old 02-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
Why was the dispatcher asking what kind of dog it was? Does the breed really matter?
Probably so the dispatcher could tell the emergency crew what type of injuries to expect; big dogs versus small dogs, does the EMT crew have to worry about the dog when they get to the house, etc. You always have to gather as much information as possible in an emergency call.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

No, the dispatcher is a professional and that is not a professional way to act. She should get the facts she needs and get the help. It's absolutely wrong to tell someone who's paying your salary (tax payers) that they're stupid. She should be disciplined.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
No, the dispatcher is a professional and that is not a professional way to act. She should get the facts she needs and get the help. It's absolutely wrong to tell someone who's paying your salary (tax payers) that they're stupid. She should be disciplined.

I agree. She was doing her job. There is no place for her personal opinion at her place of work. TOTALLY Uncalled for. NO excuse. Emotions or not. she should learn how to control them or she better look at a new career choice. preferably one where she doesn't have to talk to people because she obviously can't conduct herself in a professional manner.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
But please, call me Barb

Fired.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 PM
F150 and a .30-06

What they said was right. Emotions do get in the way. I am doing my Paramedic training, and I know that emotions are sometimes too much. However we are suposed to controll our emotions. What the dispacher said was wrong.

It is also there job to get AS MUCH info as posible so they had every right to ask what kind of dog it was.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Happy

Although I think the dispatcher was wrong to say it at that moment, I can see her point - the woman didn't even know what kind of dog she had? Hey, Jim, what sort of large predator did we buy for the kids to play with? Idiot.

On the other hand, any dog that goes for a baby's face should probably be put down. The owners are unlikely to want it and, frankly, why should it get to live when thousands of dogs who haven't bitten a child are being killed for lack of a home every day? Maybe it'd be worth it to rehab and rehome the dog if there wasn't such a surplus, but as things stand, I think it's wrong to spend time and money on a dog with that history.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
BlackDog

I think the dispatcher was right but he still shouldn't have said it. Keep it to your self. He is suppose to be a professional. That includes acting in a professional manner when on the job. Calling someone, no matter how right he was, is unprofessional. It lets your emtions get in the way of helping the people he is suppose to be taking care of.

And of course, like all of dog attack story, this is missing WAY too much info.

They family was all there in the living room when it happened.
The dog attacked "out of no where"
The dog didn't have any signs of aggression for 10 years

These things don't add up. What was the rest of the family doing? What was the kid doing? They didn't answer those two VERY important questions. It makes pit bulls look like versious killers that will strike any where and time no matter how well you think you know them.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Pit bulls aren't unpredictable, dogs are all possibly unpredictable. Knowing the dog you're responsible for is the key to any situation. The woman is inexperienced with animal behaviour (if she were her toddler wouldn't be around the dog like that). The dog didn't just bite for no reason. Something happened that isn't mentioned and there's a hole in the dog's training or some part of it's behaviour was missed by the owners. That part is predictable. We know that mammals don't just lunge out and bite for no reason at all. Dog bites start with human error and are avoidable. And I'm not saying the fault of the victim neccessarily. If she's inexperienced with behaviour why does she own a breed that almost every decent article/journal/book advises only for experienced owners?

Suspend the operator or fire him? I don't think so. I'd say a warning would suffice. She was after all, probably stupid.