Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

Default Preparing for New Puppies: What Have I Forgotten?

Depending on what happens, I may have two 8 week old male littermates by Sunday evening.

For the home-coming I'm getting food, food and water bowls, two puppy kongs, two crates, two packages of pads for lining the crates, a few packages of treats, 2 small Tupperware containers for brining poop to the vet, 2 play balls, and a vet appointment for Monday afternoon (I know, I'm evil).

Any suggestions on good collars for puppies?

Any suggestions for good leads for puppies?

Any good suggestions for accident cleaner?

I know I've forgotten something, please tell me what it is!

I've heard opinions, pro and con, on crate sharing and have decided to gradually introduce them to double crates. I think the change of space will be stressful enough for the first few days and I want to introduce them to individual crates in a happy, rewarding way.

Certainly some of you will wonder what possessed me to take two at once. Explanation will be forthcoming depending on what happens Sunday.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Twin 2.0

That is actually my first question...could you be talked into just the one? Especially since it sounds like you've been dog-less for quite some time.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Top Dog

In short, no.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Twin 2.0

Replied to your PM.

Leashes and collars...I'd stick with nylon and cheaper for now because they're going to outgrow the collars quickly and the leashes will probably end up as chew toys by some point.

Accident cleaner: I swear by Nature's Miracle.

I wouldn't put pads or anything in the crate just yet. Let them get used to the idea of not peeing in the crates and not destroying what's left in there first, and then give them something. My initial reaction is to forego the shared crating and just go right to seperate. They can still be near each other and since they won't be spending a ton of time in them, it's not going to cause any huge detriment if they're seperated for that little bit. It's better for them, actually.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

^^^^^ agree ! Re-think the 2 from same litter . Good luck !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
CASSA

I use chinook break away collars because one of my working dogs got caugth on a pipe going under a barn after a critter.

I use petco double handle 4 ft and 6ft leashes best control.

I use Zero pet odor .com and bleach mixes.

I get about 50 pounds of meat bones direct from butcher .
Saved my furniture
Best of luck pls post pics.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

I never recommend two puppies at the same time and especially not two from the same litter. There are a multitude of reasons for this. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got a good start. Also, (not sure if you're planning to or not) but IMO it is dangerous to leave collars or leashes on dogs unattended.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Show Dog

I'm agreeing with the advice about two puppies.

I use Nature's Miracle and it's great. Really great stuff, does something on the chemical level(I know that's a big duh kind of statement but it's true) to dismantle the smell particles, not just mask them or remove them.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

On the crate issue I personally find it easier to adjust a pup to a crate as their safe place rather than an entire house and new environment. As for collars, I prefer the double handled collars aswell, easier to have full control!
My best advise to you is to prepare yourself for the difficulties associated with having littermates, especially if you have found LGD littermates. Other than that, Good Luck, and post pictures!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

What are you reasons for not adopting 2 pups from the same litter? I'm raising two pups right now and it feels like I'm killing two birds with one stone. Granted one is a foster and not staying but I am still treating him as my own when it comes to what he should know at his age.