Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Do your dogs entertain themselves?

Inspired by watching my circus.

Juno is pretty bad at entertaining herself, for the most part. If you give her something edible like a bully stick, she's fine and will busy herself chewing on it. But in general she's all about the interaction. She rarely will play with a toy by herself. Instead she comes and shoves it at your butt until you turn around and play with her. Or she'll whine at you. And if you do nothing then she'll probably just give up and go lie down.

This is one area Cajun is a champion in. She can spend all day with a ball in her mouth, just trotting around squeaking it. Or she'll pull out all the toys from her toy bin and rotate through them all, shaking them dead and flinging them for herself to go chase. She's the opposite of Juno, she doesn't really show an interest in playing WITH someone (in regard to toys, at least).

I kind of really really like a dog that can self-entertain.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Got Floof?

Syl will play by herself constantly unless sleeping or with me. She will toss things in my lap hoping I play but will give up after 3 failures.

Kobe just sleeps.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Always in my heart, my Ollie
Always by my side, Priscilla vom Grunenfeld

Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Top Dog

Ivy is better at it but Quke will do it...most of his day though he spends waiting for Dan to take him out front to play fetch.

This is Ivy playing fetch with herself about 4 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmbKh7UHD4

I missed the best part of it in the beginning...it went on for quite awhile and she will still do it sometimes.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Big Dog

Leo can entertain himself for a long time by chewing on an antler or bully stick, but I don't often give those to him because they are expensive and he goes through them too fast.

He will occasionally play with himself with toys, but only for short bursts of time and I am pretty sure he mostly does it in an attempt to get me to play. Like "LOOK HOW MUCH FUN I AM HAVING. Now come play with me"
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Top Dog

Tucker is decent as self entertaining, it had to be taught. If he's bored he'll find his bully stick or antler to chew. He will also play with his ball by himself (though usually he asks us first and will only play by himself if we are too busy to play with him). He also tries to play with Willie when he's bored, sometimes that's okay and sometimes that's not depending on how Willie is feeling. When Tucker was a puppy if he wasn't being directly interacted with he would be stealing things and destroying them. He did not just lie down and rest and he did not self entertain in acceptable ways. So he's come a long way.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

Peewee was great at entertaining himself. He never really played with things, so lots of laying around with him.
Phoebe is ok with entertaining herself. Sometimes its not good. She is still at that stage where if left alone she will get into something. So I usually watch her.
Ivan ahh NO. He can play with toys by himself. But I am usually standing right there. If I move to go inside or leave him. He comes a running. Yea that invisible leash is very short on him. LOL

Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Cynder doesn't need entertaining, because she just sleeps all day.

Abrams is hit in miss. Depending on his mood, his version of entertaining himself equals throwing a toy in your lap while you are doing whatever. But some days...some days, he's pretty good about it. He'll either chew on a nylabone/bone or entertain himself with a ball or plastic bottle that we've given him. His newest favorite game is keep away...and while this is starting to become VERY annoying, it has its perks when he wants to play and all you have to do his lean in his direction while you're sitting on the couch and he takes of running, then comes back for more.

When he was a pup, I'd let him out of his crate in the morning and then get ready for work, so I didn't have a lot of time to actively do anything with him. He learned very quickly how to entertain himself in a constructive manner by playing with his toys by himself in the living room while I got ready to leave.

This is pretty commonplace:

Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer pretty well is either eating or sleeping or out doing something with me. When she gets REALLY bored after a couple days of too much downtime, she just gets needy wanting to be in your lap and face.

Mia is very hit or miss. I'd say more miss... Sometimes she'll just roll her tennis ball on the floor around and play that way. Most the time she self occupies in annoying ways like barking at something for an hour straight or if she's in the yard, she will fence fight the ACDs behind us or chase birds up and down the fence (there's this tree there that is full of birds). Indoors she typically throws balls at you and demand barks. And she'll do that for hours if she gets in that mood and you don't settle her down. And it really is not exercise dependent. There is no pattern. So yesterday after almost 2 hours of nosework plus a hike for an hour she was doing this. Or she will 'self entertain' by just getting in trouble.

Food toys though... food toys are our saving grace. I have a couple that will occupy her for around an hour.

And sometimes she's really good about just chewing a bully stick and sleeping a lot of the day! I think she'd be a lot better if Summer would actually PLAY with her. She always tries to get Summer to wrestle and chase but Summer rarely ever does.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 AM
such sights to show you

Pip and Maisy mostly just rest or sleep if no one is actively engaging them or they don't have something like a RMB or bully stick.

Squash self-entertains, but it's of questionable value because he's THAT dog who might find something fairly awful to do just as often as he finds something fairly innocuous to do. He spent about fifteen minutes trying to get under the futon couch this morning for some reason (no toys or cats under there today), which was entertaining and kept him busy. But next time he might try to peel the carpet off the cat tree, who knows?

Squash and Maisy will entertain each other, which is nice. A game of couch wrestling or bitey face can get noisy, but it's non-destructive.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Not reeeeally.

If you're not interacting with the Bonehead he will try everything he can to get you to play/cuddle/tell him he's awesome.

Last night was the perfect example- we had over our two Norwich, standard schnauzer & lab friends - they played and played in the yard and eventually we all came inside. All dogs lay down -- except Crossbone. Pace, pace, pace. Get out twelve toys. Walk in circles. Climb on people. Stand on person and stare. Repeat. For hours.

If he has a really special toy (ie PIG) he will chew, shake and entertain himself for a bit until he shoves it in your face. He also likes to run around (inside, outside, bank off the couch) with a squeaky toy at exactly the WRONG time during a movie.

Sometimes I think he "entertains himself" as a means to annoy us and get us to pay attention to him.

When he's REALLY pissed off he will go upstairs and take ONE Kleenex out if the trash, shred it in a tidy little pile and return to us like "ha! You should really pay attention to me - THAT was just a warning- who knows what I might destroy next!"