Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog in Heat

I'm picking up a rescue on Saturday, pulled from a shelter. She is quite young, possibly under a year old. She is in heat. I have an intact male. Other than managing the issue, bringing them outside separately, using a crate in the garage, is there anything else I should know about? How helpful are the doggie diapers? Is there something that would block her lovely scent?

Since she was found as a stray, she may already be pregnant by another rogue, but we still don't want designer Bostons X Border Collie (Border Bostons? Bosties?) puppies.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Taxiderpy

Give her a really good bath. It will help wash some of the scent off. Put listerine on her bum. Don't get it on the actual openings, it will burn! Then you can put some vicks vaporub on your male's upper lip. Be SUPER careful not to get it on his nose.

That won't cover her scent entirely. But it may make your male a bit easier to live with.

Diapers are because they bleed. If she's inside, you'll definitely want one.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Behavior Nerd

Diapers alone will NOT prevent a tie - your best bet is to have at least two layers of security between your male and the female at *all* times.

The layers could be a door and a solid sided crate, a fence and a leash, two crates, etc. and be aware that some females will work just as hard to get to a male as a male will work to get to a female, so leashing even in a fenced yard is advisable. 6' fences may not stop a determined dog, nor will chain link or wire crates.

Are there any other people in your household? If so, you will need to either make darn sure that they understand how important it is to keep the dogs separate OR you'll need to make it impossible for someone to put them together (i.e. locks). I can't tell you how many oops I've heard of happening because a child "thought the dogs would like to play" or a husband thought it would be ok to put the female out alone on a tieout in a fenced yard for 5 minutes to pee.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Just have her spayed as soon as the heat is over to avoid any secondary complications (like, 6 or 8 of them) if you know what I mean
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Just try me..

I second vapo rub!

If she is in heat unless she *just got pregnant she won't be. If she is I would go for an emergency spay..
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Love my pets

Wait a few months after the heat is over so her hormone levels go back to normal.

My female tore off the doggie diapers and everything else I tried. She thought they were new toys. We had to keep her in a room where we could clean up the floors easily.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Give her a really good bath. It will help wash some of the scent off. Put listerine on her bum. Don't get it on the actual openings, it will burn! Then you can put some vicks vaporub on your male's upper lip. Be SUPER careful not to get it on his nose.

That won't cover her scent entirely. But it may make your male a bit easier to live with.

Diapers are because they bleed. If she's inside, you'll definitely want one.
Yup. The Vicks helps. And expect that your male may stop eating.

You might want to invest in some ear plugs, too, for the howling and whining.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

I've used vapor rub at shows before, meh, didn't make too much of a difference on the males who are, umm, "determined?"

I guess I'm lucky, the male (and Davids doesn't count yet, he doesn't know anything yet ) I have, or have kept, don't act like complete freaks (pace, cry, stop eating) with bitches in season. But then again I keep mine around them (my dogs are crated in the same room, the crates I use are nearly escape proof, Pro Dog crates w/ a snap latched on), so they know that they aren't going to breed every bitch in season every time. Yea, given half the chance, they will try to get to her (especially mine, they are notorious climbers of ex pens). . . but I don't tolerate howling and whining. From anyone, lol.

NOT suggesting you do this, I would keep them separated, but that's also because she's a stray and I would want to quarantine her for a few days before introducing her.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Since she was found as a stray, she may already be pregnant by another rogue, but we still don't want designer Bostons X Border Collie (Border Bostons? Bosties?) puppies.
I'd have her looked at in the near future. If she's found preggo I'd be emergency spaying. If not I'd wait a month and spay her then.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Thank you. She has been at the shelter for one week, so we know that at least she's been in full heat for one week. Was it the second week or the first week? Don't know. There is only one vet here who will do a spay during heat, but I can't get her in until the 13th. By that time, I'm sure she'll not be fertile any more. So, by that time I guess I can put off the spay until her hormones return to normal as suggested- will ask the vet.

Will invest in Vick's and dog diapers.