Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Default blood pressure & pulse?

I went to donate blood again today and was turned away for the first time because of a slightly low hemoglobin count. I've been 6 times before without issues, so today was a first. Anyhow, what worried me more was that the nurse took my blood pressure and it came out to 80/60. She said it was the lowest she'd ever seen for someone coming to donate blood. Anyhow, because my hemoglobin was too low on the first try, another nurse came in to retake my hemoglobin. I asked her to recheck my blood pressure as well and she told me that she was getting a value of ~90/60. Either way, it's lower than it's ever been. It's typically low-normal, but still within the "normal" range. Today when I got home, I looked at the blood pressure chart and I'm borderline for hypotension.

I get orthostatic hypotension sometimes when I stand up (my vision goes black for a second or two), but I've never passed out because of it.

My pulse was 58 at the blood clinic. I just took it again myself and got 58 again.

Anybody else here have chronically low blood pressure?

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My blood pressure is low, but not hypotension low. It's normally 90/60.

I've never donated blood because I ALWAYS have terrible experiences having blood drawn. My veins are tiny, and it takes forever for them to even get a small amount of blood from me.

I've talked to my doctor a couple of times about my blood pressure, and they always say that nothing can be done unless there are symptoms.

I'm not sure what my pulse is, though. I'll have to check it later.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I just took my pulse and it's 62.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Pulse can be anywhere from 50-100 depending - the better in shape you are and if you're calm, it'll be lower, if you aren't in good shape and or are running it goes up. Adapts to what's needed.

If your BP is low and you have issues, get it checked out and make sure all is well. Not sure what the low BP issues are if any.

I have high BP - as in it was 205/150 or so at one point in the doctor's office. I felt fine, was active and hiking all weekend before finding out there was a concern. I got sent home, but my family doctor was mad they didn't admit me at the time or give me medication on the spot.

Now adjusting to it and it's normal, but I'm on a high dose of stuff with side effects. And thanks to having more tests, know that my kidneys are working fine, that most of the other organs are fine, but I have fatty liver syndrome - not a huge issue if it goes away but it's the start of worse issues if it doesn't. And gallstones.

Hoping as I finish loosing weight the liver resolves, my meds can go down and the gallstones behave.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

My regular BP is around 106/60, pulse around 60s-70s. My doctors have never been concerned. My dad's BP is close to mine, but his resting HR is in the 50s - doctors think it's awesome. The lower your resting pulse the better usually - my dad's is similar to that of a marathon runner apparently.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
<----Thanks Allie

If you are having issues with it, go to your doctor. If you are not having issues, next time you are in there just ask him about it.

I have low blood pressure and I prefer it to high blood pressure. lol. plus, when I am feeling a little too tired or sluggish, 1 cup of coffee helps increase my BP and keeps me awake. lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

As long as you're not having issues, like fainting or dizziness, weakness etc, low blood pressure and pulse is good.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Yep, my blood pressure normally runs about 90/60, but pretty frequently drops even lower (80s/60).

I've fainted a few times because of it. Drinking tons and tons of water and eating some salt helps.

I think some of you checking your pulse at home are probably not doing it totally accurately (it's hard to do!). Between 60-100 is normal, I don't know about 50s, I know that's considered normal range but don't know if it's dangerous.

My pulse is usually somewhere around the 70s - I just checked it with a (possibly fairly inaccurate) heart rate monitor, and it was 80.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

interesting! Yeah, I'm tired pretty frequently, even with regular amounts of sleep, but I was already aware that I don't drink nearly enough water. It's changing that that is proving to be the hard part. Otherwise, I feel pretty good I guess upping my water consumption would be a good place to start

I've never had a problem checking my pulse on my own. Using the throat or wrist gives a pretty good "beat" of the pulse. Set a timer and count the beats! It's what the nurses at the donation centers do as well, so it can't be too inaccurate.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Mine is normally low. I'm frequently 105/60. My resting heart rate is anywhere from 65 to 85 or so. Just depends on how much caffeine I've had though. I can't give blood because I don't weigh enough for my height. They won't take it, lol.