Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Default The Little Dog that Could

We had our nosework 'final' this evening. We did 2 mock nosework 'runs'. Of all the dogs in class, Mia came in with the fastest time in both runs despite being the tiniest. I got some nice compliments by the instructors on how well she works. She turns on really nicely and indicates very clearly already. 71.8 seconds for her first run- a vehicle search (we searched 3 vehicles), outdoor search, indoor/room search, and then container search. Woo hoo! (Her second one was around 2 minutes and 20 seconds total and it was harder hides).

Oh and this was after she busted into my treat bag and ate everything in it. It was packed full of all the treats and cheese and ham I was going to use for my Thursday agility classes as well. So pretty much Mia ate enough for three papillons and then some. And then she was still interested in food and searched like a champ.

Hopefully she doesn't puke tonight. But there's definitely something to be said for food drive, I guess.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

So cool, I never even thought about doing nosework with a little munchkin. If I ever decide to take a break from agility maybe we'll give it a try! I love a dog that you can pretty much do anything with, sounds like Mia is the same way.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm All Ears

My nosework trainer was talking about how she's been told little dogs are a lot harder to work by all the seminars she's gone to.

She wants to send them a video of Mia working to prove them wrong.

The only issues we've had were when the hides are pretty high and she can't climb up to them. But she's getting to where she's indicating the taller ones better. The other dogs in class are all a lot bigger than her so they reach the scents better(belgian, lab, and terrier/hound).

Mia might like the nosework better than agility. I don't think it's nearly as fun (cause I don't do all that much) but the people are great and it's fun watching them get better. Mia is PERSISTENT too. She will not give up until she finds it. Mia thinks it's the best game ever. And it's nice because I can work her easily without that much effort on my part for it.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
& the Muttly Crew

That is fabulous and I am very jealous of your nosework class!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
It seems like they're still figuring it out. There's not many trials and instructors yet. But we should be having our first trial next fall so I'm planning on entering Mia. Hopefully I can really proof her until then.

I still don't know the ins and outs of the levels and what is required for each. Someone said AKC and UKC are thinking about starting their own versions of nosework too.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Ditto! I'm having major issues finding a nosework class around here...

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm All Ears

It is fun! I can ask my instructor about the best way for people in other

The one sucky thing is how far you currently have to travel in order to trial. The trial next year that I hope do debut Mia in (if we pass our ORT first) is the first in our state. It does sound like the people in the sport are trying to work together to not conflict with each others' trials though. I hope it catches on more.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

I looked into it briefly today because I thought it might be fun to do with the BC mix because right now she's too reactive to do agility. But it's a little too expensive here, the paces I've found start at $200 for 6 weeks.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm All Ears

That's too bad. But it's SUPER easy to teach at home. I don't think you'd need a class. I wasn't planning on staying in the class but I really like the people in it and the dogs (especially the belgian!) You just have to be able to practice in as many different areas as possible.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Club Terrible - President

Awesome job, go Mia!