Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Default 'Daycare'-Kenneling Dogs?

I've kind of come upon an opportunity with a friend of mine, and I was just curious what you guys thought.

Do you think it would be beneficial to the dogs (well, Skye and Romeo) to be kenneled a few days a week while I'm at work? They wouldn't be taken out or anything, just be in a large indoor/outdoor kennel. I just wonder if the mental stimulation would be good for them, or if it doesn't matter...hmm. They are both social and wouldn't be too nervous at the kennels.

They only spend max 5 hours alone when both me and my mom are working but they do tend to be put back in my bedroom until I get home after being let out to potty. Romeo doesn't get along with Soldier and Skye prefers my bedroom to being out in the house.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't, unless they're having issues at home like severe SA or destructive boredom.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Mine have been going to work with me for the past two years every few days and mostly they spend the day in crates but the benefit is an extra hour or two out for training/play, without that I would just crate at home.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Wait, do you work at the kennel?

If you worked there, I'd consider bringing them, but I don't think it's necessary or beneficial to bring most dogs to a kennel you don't work at, unless they've got a ton of pent up energy and boredom.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva's day is very much like what Adrianne does with her dogs. She plays in daycare for only 1-2 hours tops, and gets short training sessions but is mostly crated in the office next to the lobby. It's not a whole lot but it's nicer than being crated the whole time. Plus I have occasional opportunity to train in our fairly large training space.

If you think the dogs won't be stressed, I'd try it! I'm envious of nice indoor/outdoor kennels. If I could use them instead of crates I probably would.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

What's the down side?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What's the down side?
If you're there, they're few and far between. For some dogs, though, it's stressful. Shamoo doesn't like being at my work for the most part because of crating in a new strange place.

Also there are plenty of variables, other people having access to your dog, etc. (says the paranoid freak)
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
<----Thanks Allie

From the situation you described I don't think it's necessary. If it's not a financial strain though, you could try it and see how they react. I would also advise bringing blankets from home for them to sleep on(and have the scent of home).

I know some dogs get stressed by kennels. Not always because of the other dogs directly, but because the kennels aren't "their" kennel. Walsh and Muffin are very comforted by their crates. If they are tired, crabby, scared, or just don't want to deal with whatever is going on they both go into "their" crate. It has only their scents and their things. With a public day-care kennel they may not always go into the same one and other dogs have been in the kennels.