Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay21 View Post
she said they cant stand very well. they mostly sleep and eat and her family helps them outside for the bathroom
and she thinks this is OK? This is normal? Does she seriously not see anything wrong with this?

ETA: It's honestly curiosity. I mean... mind=blown.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 AM
retriever crazy

she thinks cause they are not starving they are ok

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

WAY too big. Of course it could be beagle x walker hound or something, but based on the pic the dog is way obese. Killing it with kindness. To be honest, just as I find it cruel that people starve dogs, I find it cruel when they keep them that overweight. It's not healthy and not good for the dog.

Can you find out exactly what and how much she is feeding? Sometimes with a dog that overweight, a thyroid problem is really to blame. She would probably be best having a thyroid panel run at the vet to rule that out.

For comparison, a healthy weight beagle..even this dog could lose a pound or three and be at a healthy weight.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
retriever crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
WAY too big. Of course it could be beagle x walker hound or something, but based on the pic the dog is way obese. Killing it with kindness. To be honest, just as I find it cruel that people starve dogs, I find it cruel when they keep them that overweight. It's not healthy and not good for the dog.

Can you find out exactly what and how much she is feeding? Sometimes with a dog that overweight, a thyroid problem is really to blame. She would probably be best having a thyroid panel run at the vet to rule that out.

For comparison, a healthy weight beagle..
would all 3 of her beagles have the thyroid problem or most likely over feeding?

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

For comparison, a healthy weight beagle..even this dog could lose a pound or three and be at a healthy weight.
Oh I thought about that whole thyroid issues, but if 3/3 beagles are overweight, I tend to turn to food

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM
retriever crazy

she feeds royal canine and they are free feeders bowl always full

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 AM
retriever crazy

the boy which is the 80 pounder is 7 and one of the other 2 is 7 and the other one is 14 she said. the 14 yr old is the mom of the 7 year olds

she thinks thats there age she doesnt really remember.

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 AM
and Fozzie B!

If any breed of dog would eat themselves into morbid obesity, it's a Beagle!!! They are food lovers for sure.

How sad that a person who cares enough about dogs to join a forum & has information right in front of her is so in denial about her dogs health. I'd tell her up front, STOP FREE-FEEDING YOUR DOGS! FEED A QUALITY KIBBLE! Give each down their own separate bowl, for two meals a day, and measure out the amounts based on what they should weigh which is probably half of their current weight. Less than 1 cup per meal. What she is doing to them is abuse, it's just as bad as underfeeding a dog.

This woman would bring her giant Beagle, Roy, to the Pet hotel I worked at. She acted like he was super spoiled and she cared about him... but fed him 10x the amount of food that he needed, and it was Beneful!!! D: He was very tall for a Beagle, but even wider than he was tall. Like a Beagle barrel. Everyone wanted to be polite and say nothing to her. I couldn't take it, and talked to her about it in a friendly, helpful manner. She started feeding him 1 cup of Blue Buffalo a day and just a few treats. Within a few months, he was a slim, happy, active Beagle! All of his skin, joint and health issues disappeared. People think that overfeeding makes their dogs happy, but it doesn't, and it is not what is best for them.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
retriever crazy

i told her to cut down on their food but she thinks shes depriving them of food if she does that... its actually not a dog forum that i no her from but she should still be able to clearly see they are to big.

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay21 View Post
she said they cant stand very well. they mostly sleep and eat and her family helps them outside for the bathroom
And they don't see a problem?

All 3 of those dogs are morbidly obese. She needs to set a feeding schedule and measure out an appropriate amount of food.