Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Default Bunnys back legs collapsed? + taking action against pet store?

Hey everyone. I went into the pet store yesterday night and they showed me a bunny they have been keeping in the back so customers can't see it. They told me before showing her to me (I have given the employees advice on the animals before and they have taken steps to make these changes before, so I am always more than happy to lend a hand) that information about this is NOT to leave the store ( I know) and of course I assured that it wouldn't so they would tell me what was going on. Well, one of their breeder bunnies is NOT doing okay. She has lost all movement in her back legs, cannot stand on them and when she walks she drags them behind her, when she needs to back up she puts her front legs in reverse, and pushes herself back until she is sitting on her hocks. I poked and prodded her everywhere and she didn't cry or scream, but I did notice what felt like a rib sticking out slightly further than the others. They assured me that this happened out of nowhere, that she hasn't shown signs of pain, etc. - she just lost movement in her back legs out of nowhere. I know nothing about bunnies, and told them I would look into it. What could this be? They won't take her to the vet, I already begged them to rush her to a vet and they refused. What can I do for this poor girl, besides reporting the pet store?
Which is the next topic... I am going to contact Pasado's Safe Haven right now to see if they can do anything, any other ideas? Should I make a police report? If it comes down to it I might be able to snap some pictures and videos, depending on how well I can time it. They're being really sneaky about this, but I'll certainly try.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Big Dog

It sounds like the poor bunny might have broken it's back and is now paralized. If this is the case then euthanasia is probably the only humane option for the poor girl. Either way if they're refusing to even have her seen by the vet when there is clearly something wrong with her then they need to be reported.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcraker View Post
It sounds like the poor bunny might have broken it's back and is now paralized. If this is the case then euthanasia is probably the only humane option for the poor girl. Either way if they're refusing to even have her seen by the vet when there is clearly something wrong with her then they need to be reported.
Agree.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

In most states (a quick look says WA included) a retail pet store is not required to provide veterinary care for their animals.

You could maybe try filing a complaint with the Department of Agriculture, I'm not sure if your state requires pet stores to be inspected/licensed (I don't think so).

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

If you run your fingers down her spine, she should flinch (i.e., the hide should twitch along her back)... if she doesn't do this, sounds like a broken back.

Have you asked them what their plan is? Just how long are they going to "wait and see" (sounds like that's what they're doing). If the rabbit isn't important enough to them to see a vet then they should put her down and get a replacement. This "well, hmmm, it's just a rabbit so we're not vetting it, but it's a bunny, we can't kill her" is the worst of both worlds, potentially pretty sucky for the animal in question. (I know you dont' have control over any of it. But it an annoying attitude.)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
In most states (a quick look says WA included) a retail pet store is not required to provide veterinary care for their animals.

You could maybe try filing a complaint with the Department of Agriculture, I'm not sure if your state requires pet stores to be inspected/licensed (I don't think so).
That is a terrible fact I never knew. I didn't look up my state, but if it's the norm, I'd say we're included.

Oh that makes me feel ill
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Will they sell her to you? Or since she is no longer of breeding worth to them, maybe they would just let you have her. Then you could do what needs to be done, or find a rescue that will. I don't think your going to change them, and if you report they won't be asking your help anymore, which means the animals won't be getting your assistance.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Oh, that poor thing! Bunnies tend towards not showing signs of pain, that harks back to the "wild" where showing weakness puts them on a predator dinner plate.

Really sounds like they're trying to hide something, doesn't it? Ugh, so many things could have happened to that poor thing. I don't care if they told you not to tell (did you actually sign anything?) I'd be reporting it. Not getting that poor animal treatment is cruelty and they're making you complicit. Which really throws the whole "info not to leave the store" out the window anyway.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I think she might be afraid that if she "tells" then they won't let her around at all to hall the animals or something like that.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

I agree with those who said it sounds like that poor rabbit has broken it's back. It really isn't all that hard for that to happen when a rabbit isn't handled properly. Even tho you agreed that what you saw wouldn't leave the store, I'm pretty sure they can't do anything if you report them. I think that's the route I'd go- call Animal Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Will they sell her to you? Or since she is no longer of breeding worth to them, maybe they would just let you have her. Then you could do what needs to be done, or find a rescue that will. I don't think your going to change them, and if you report they won't be asking your help anymore, which means the animals won't be getting your assistance.
If I remember right, PBL is already over extended with her rescues, so I don't think that would be a good idea.

Last edited by MicksMom; 01-09-2013 at 09:37 AM.