Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Paleo diet?

My roommate printed me a GIANT cookbook, it's a paleo diet cookbook.
I don't follow an actual diet plan, other than the fact that we rarely eat meat and I make lots of soup, so I can use the cookbook, ditch the meat most of the time and get good recipes.

But what is a paleo diet? Is it still a paleo diet if you reverse the amount of meat (and drop it drastically) and increase the amount of everything else? Or is that something entirely different?

Googling this gave me nothing I could readily understand. Except that apparently the paleo diet comes with lots of debate.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Any sort of diet like that where it's a major shift in your eating style comes with a lot of debate... just look at the debates on low carb we've had here!

Technically I think part of paleo is the high animal protein. I would think otherwise you're basically just going low carb and eating fresh, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Just be careful about eating everything raw, if that's what it recommends. Raw food IS a good way to lose weight, but it puts you at risk of loosing too much weight, and too many nutrients, too fast.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Paleo is basically eating like we would have as a hunter gatherer people. No dairy, no grains, fruits, roots, berries, veggies, meats. and some others I haven't tried yet, like bone marrow
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Paleo is basically eating like we would have as a hunter gatherer people. No dairy, no grains, fruits, roots, berries, veggies, meats. and some others I haven't tried yet, like bone marrow
Bone marrow is delicious. But very, very fattening. Its sort of like foie gras . . .without the cruelty.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Paleo diet just means eating in a biologically appropriate way, or eating the way our ancestors ate before farming, back when we were hunter/gatherers. The theory is that our bodies are equipped by evolution to eat the foods that nature provided... meat, fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. Not foods that we've farmed and processed. What I understand of it, it doesn't matter whether you eat mostly veggie, it's just about eating the way nature intended.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Just try me..

Yes basically paleo is no modern foods. So you can have all the fruits, nuts, meat and veggies you want

When I am done losing weight I plan to eat a more 'paleo' way. Only with dairy... not about to give up cheese

Its kind of like eating 'raw' for dogs. Its a more biologically sound way for humans to eat. Our evolution hasn't caught up to our food lifestyle.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I read something that said that grains were eaten towards the upper paleo era, starting about 13,000 years before the end of the era. Very interesting stuff, anyway.

What exactly does it mean to eat raw when you're a human? Is it uncooked, or unprocessed, or both?

As you can see

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I will say, some of the recipes in this book look delicious. I'm really excited to try some of these out!

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Kotah BEAR

My dad does this diet. He has done GREAT on it.

He has been doing it for about a year (in March) and he has lost upwards of 60 pounds.

I started doing it and I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, I lost it fast, to some people. But once I start losing weight, I keep losing it until I've stopped a diet/workout session/etc for about a month.

Honestly, I think if you have a bunch of weight you want to lose in a certain amount of time, go for it. If you have just 10-15 lbs you want to lose by the summer, do it.

Its a great diet. And I have heard nothing but good things about it from my dad, my uncle, and my 2 cousins that do it due to my dad.