Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Rabies vaccine and older dogs

A dog person I know in real life recommended that I do not do rabies anymore with Summer because of age and also her seizure history. The next time she comes up for rabies she will be 13 years old. Is it even legal to skip it? Can you do a titre and a vet note saying the dog is elderly?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think you can have a vaccine waiver from your vet, but even then, if she were to bite someone they would probably consider her unvaccinated.

We didn't vaccinate our senior dogs. The dogs were just house/farm dogs and didn't go anywhere, so no one but us and the vet knew they weren't up to date on their rabies.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Well Summer is probably the least likely dog in the history of dogs to ever bite anyone. I have never even seen her raise a lip at a human. Plus she has no teeth so....

She does go a lot of places though. Who knows if she will at 13 or not.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Titre acceptance varies by town; you would need to check with the town offices where you are going to be living. I know some of the vets around here will do titres and fill out "dog not vaccinated for medical reasons" forms for dogs who have had reactions to the vaccine.

I also know people who get by with fewer rabies vaccines by just being smart about when they get their dogs registered. The vaccine needs to be current when you register the dog. Therefore, if your dog is due in February of 2015, just go register in January. Then you have until April of the next year before you absolutely need to renew your license; you can buy another 14 months or so.

I'd personally start by just asking if the town accepts titres.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Depends on laws in your area, and how strictly they're enforced. To get a dog's liscense here you don't need proof of anything, it's seems pretty lax here, no ones checking up on it or anything....

I'm definitely not making Maddie have any more vaccs. I've discussed it in depth with my vet, and 2 other vets (at the same practice). We were doing limited vaccs anyway, she's 12 now, and it's totally not necessary IMHO. Too much of a risk (to me) for a reaction with her allergies and/or skin problems. We tittered once, and even with that my vet said in his personal opinion it'd be a waste of money to continue doing that, too. I was told my city didn't accept titers... When I asked, it was explained to me that the laws haven't caught up to the science....
I take her places all the time, but it's mostly like friends or relatives houses, only occasionally the beach or a park. And like you said about Summer, she doesn't have a lot of teeth left anyway lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I suppose it depends on the area, I know my friend had her dog titered and her (holistic) vet has deemed him unsuitable for receiving the vaccine. I have no idea how much weight that would hold if the wrong circumstance arose, though.

Personally I don't bat an eye at just skipping rabies, but that's me.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM
overdogged

In PA they recently passed a law that a veterinarian can write a letter stating that it is not in the dog's best interest to be vaccinated, BUT if the dog bites someone (or is bitten by something), the dog is considered unvaccinated.

I'll probably continue to do rabies for Luce (hard to believe she'll be 12 in a few weeks) if she comes up due, but nothing else.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
such sights to show you

Rabies laws are one thing I personally won't mess with. If I didn't have a black and tan/brindle dog, a giant polar bear, and obviously part-bully dogs I might be more relaxed about it, but I feel like I need to be as "responsible" of a dog owner as possible (same reason I get dog licenses and got Squash his CGC) and it's all part of the paper trail.

I don't really have much anxiety about rabies vaccines, either, though.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Rabies laws are one thing I personally won't mess with.
Same here. I do minimal vaccines, and titre other stuff, but my two are always kept current on rabies. Both because of the law, and because it isn't something I ever want to worry about with my guys if they ever get bit by anything.

Neither of mine have ever had a reaction to anything, so maybe that is easy for me to say.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM
overdogged

Rabies vaccines are generally well-tolerated by dogs, but I have to admit, I'm a little antsy about them right now because we've seen a dramatically increased number of post-vaccine immune-mediated diseases at work recently, and the thing they've had in common has been the rabies vaccine.

And of COURSE Hambone is due for vaccines. Ugh.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?