Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Puppy stuff.

People about to get puppies or who just got puppies, when did you start hoarding puppy stuff ahead of time when you knew you where getting a pup and what did you hoard?

And for kicks here is some christmas puppies.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

I'm already hoarding things. I'm a hoarder. Plus it's just fun to shop around for a new fun dog that will probably actually LIKE toys and collars and such, rather than old GrumpFace over here who stares at me like I'm stupid.

But I hoard bowls, leashes, collars, toys, pretty sure I still have baby-puppy stuff left over somewhere from when the girls were little, like bottles and such. I acquire it all as I go and never throw anything away. And then I go on mini shopping sprees where I get something I KNOW Zander won't like...but maybe I can hoard it or give it as a gift to someone else.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

About five years... seriously hoarded for the last two years before I got Payton.

And I've already started buying a few things for my next puppy which is also probably at least two years away. Because I find awesome puppy stuff on clearance. Which is how the last hoard started.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Silence, peasants.

I'm still 9 months away, I started hoarding stuff about 1 1/2 years before when puppy is expected to come home, although I didn't buy anything until August (sister gave me a few things). I'm asking for only dog stuff for Christmas/B-Day to offset the costs, so I'll have a real big hoard before the poor Mum dog is even pregnant.

I just ordered a nail grinder, but I already have some kong toys, busy buddy toys, frisbees, nylabones, a head collar, a harness, and a leash (all gear is pink of course ), lots of balls (chuck-it and wool), and of course some stuffed animals/tugs. I have to say, the toys are definitely what I am most likely to buy, they are my weakness. I already have a little crate from my Mum's small dog, and I'll wait to buy the adult one until I can judge how big she'll be. And an X-pen from when Wesley was a puppy.

My sister's dog is watching me bring all this home and dying that he can't have at it, I keep it in my closet in a bin, and he tries to open the door.

Last edited by Oko; 12-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

Personally I wouldn't buy things until a week or two before, because I wouldn't want to jinx it - not that I'm superstitious, but if it didn't work out I'd be so depressed looking at puppy stuff.

Besides, as far as toys and things I want to see what the puppy likes, their sleeping style before getting a bed, treat preferences, etc.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Water Junkie

First, and most important, question. Here it is: YOU'RE GETTING A PUPPY?!?!?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I've bought a few things that I could not resist for the spring puppy. I found a beautiful red hand made wool sweater that was a XXXL and it was on sale for 15 dollars so I had to buy one.

But we have a few already big ticket items already from having Mitsu, like an X pen and a kennel, which is nice. Im trying not to go all over board until mother dog is confirmed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Play that funky music.

I never really buy anything before I have the dog. A Kong, some chewy stuff, and maybe a stuffy or two... but nothing my current dogs won't use if the dog I'm buying it for ends up not liking it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

I was already waiting so long for this puppy.. I couldn't help but hoard lol but I only officially admitted I was hoarding when the ultrasound was confirmed but my first "future puppy item" was a tiny dinosaur plushie with squeaky eggs inside I bought like..6 months ago lol I just thought it was so cute.

The only things I didn't buy until REALLY late were the crate and name-tag. The crate because it's huge and that would be a depressing reminder if this didn't work out and the tag because it's a personal little thing and I didn't want to jinx it.

But 4 months ago I already had.. most toys (stuffies, kongs, balls etc.. things I gathered under the pretense of "when I pet sit for people"), tiny collar, leash, leash hooks and other households doodads, books etc..

So yea lol the crate was the only big thing I really waited about.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

I didn't do a lot of buying until about 2 weeks before we brought him home. Then it was just a few small things so I could get an idea of what he liked. Luckily some of the larger things, like crates, there are a lot in the family so I didn't have to buy them.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/