Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Anyone can check out my questionnaire, its pretty short and sweet since I want to ask most of the questions myself. http://www.brigadoonbordercollies.co...questionnaire/ One question that some people ask me about is "If this puppy is purchased as a companion or performance prospect, do you agree to have it spayed or neutered before the age of 2?". The thing is- "No" is a perfectly reasonable answer, I just want to know what the intention behind that is. Is it because this person just doesn't like spaying and neutering, and has no plans to breed? Is it because this person doesn't want to show, but wants to do agility and herding, but plans on having a litter? Is this person totally irresponsible and wants to breed their female to their dog Blue because he's so pretty and smart?

I don't ask for references- because I don't give a flying crap what other people think of potential puppy buyers. I know some of the most unethical show mill breeders who would get 100 recommendations. I want to make my own mind up about people. I've never had a huge issue with any of my puppy buyers.

Most of all, I want people to feel like they can be honest with me. For example, one of the people who was on my list for a Fiona puppy said that they did the occasional sport mix. I asked if that was their plan for this pup, and their response was "only if you're ok with that". I was allowed to say "No, I wouldn't be comfortable with that" and that was that. She is still on my list and we moved on from that. I don't want people to feel like they have to sneak behind my back because I am so overbearing and strict- I have DEFINITELY felt like that with other breeders and I hated it.

I don't care where my puppy buyers live. If you live on a 200 acre ranch and your dog spends its life in a kennel, you are not a better home than someone who lives in a one bedroom apartment and jogs with their dog every day. JMO.

I just want to see my puppies loved, first and foremost. Sometimes that means that they don't all end up in glamorous homes with people who trial them every weekend, but thats ok. One of the thing that really bothers me is seeing on puppy questionnaires and contracts: "This dog will be shown to his championship/MACH/OTCH/HC (or whatever) within 2 years, even if this means hiring a professional at the owner's expense, or the dog will be shown by the breeder whenever he or she chooses" (that's slight paraphrasing, but you get what I mean). I'm sorry, but no. If one of my puppy buyers gets a show puppy and never shows it, it's not a big deal to me. One, because that sort of stuff doesn't mean that much to me, but also because I get that there are more important things, and I'm not about to go kidnap someone's dog because I feel the need to prove myself to other breeders.

I may have more rants about stupid breeder BS, but I can't think of them.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
orange iguanas.

I love questionnaires. It is just downright near impossible for me to start with a completely blank slate and formulate an email. What does the breeder want to know? What do I feel is important to share? Does this breeder want a novel and life story, or just a quick paragraph?

With a questionnaire I at least know what the breeder wants answers to, and then I can go on to answer in detail. If there is an "anything else you'd like me to know?" question, then I can fill in the blanks with whatever info I want to share, but wasn't specifically asked about.

I've only filled out one questionnaire before and it was pretty simple. Do you own or rent, what is your schedule like, what will you do with the puppy when you're not home, what pets do you currently own, what activities do you plan on doing with puppy, what kind of personality traits are you looking for.... all seemed like basic and perfectly acceptable questions for a breeder to want to know.

I don't really mind answering in-depth questions, but I haven't really done any breeder shopping so I have yet to see any extreme questionnaires. The questionnaire that I filled out had no probing questions, but I freely offered up information about my age and my "experience" with the breed, because I wanted that out there from the get go (this was a couple years ago - so I think my age was more of a factor then it would be now).

I'll definitely still contact breeders without a questionnaire, but it makes it waaayyy easier for me to form coherent thoughts if I have a prompt to follow

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM
SevenSins

This is ours. For the most part, the questions are designed to not necessarily have a "right" or a "wrong" answer to pick from. A couple probably seem more invasive than others, like the one that asks if any members of the household are physically, mentally or emotionally impaired, but that's another question that doesn't have a defined "right" or "wrong" answer; If a member of the household has a disability, and I can get someone to tell me so up front in a less personal setting (rather than making them feel awkward by bringing it up in later conversation, if they're uncomfortable with the question(s) they simply don't have to fill out the application), that gives me all the more time to learn about it and discuss it with them so that I can make a more informed decision about puppy placement, not because having a disabled person in the household will necessarily exclude them. I also designed the questionnaire to take at least a little bit of effort to complete simply because the vast majority of breeders in my breed, including so-called reputable show breeders, literally sell their puppies through an e-mail inquiry that consists of, "Hey, what picks do you have open on XX breeding and what are you asking for females?" To answer the OP's question, I wish more breeders in my breed used them, and I do personally prefer them as a means of first communication in my breed because it's extremely efficient in weeding out tire-kickers and the "Hey, you got any blues?" guy.

Seven Sins American Pit Bull Terriers
Puppy Questionnaire

As breeders of American Pit Bull Terriers, it is our responsibility to ensure that every puppy we produce is placed in the most appropriate environment for that individual puppy. We do not accept deposits on puppies, thereby making potential puppy buyers feel obligated to purchase a puppy that they may not be happy with, and we do not believe in blindly placing puppies with individuals based on little more than “pick order.” As such, we ask that you please complete the following questionnaire to the best of your ability, thoroughly, and most importantly, honestly.

Several of the questions below are designed to be answered in detailed sentences or paragraphs so that we may get to know you through your own words, rather than simply "yes" or "no;" The more details you can share with us, the more you will be helping us to place the right puppy with you, if approved.

Please copy and paste this questionnaire into your word processor of choice in order to complete it. You may attach either a .doc or .rtf file directly to an e-mail and mail this questionnaire back to us at: [removed]

• Name:
  • Address:
  • City:
  • State/Province:
  • Zip/Postal Code:
  • Phone #:
  • E-mail Address:
What is your preferred contact method, and the best time to reach you?

Have you ever owned an American Pit Bull Terrier?

What attracted you to this breed?

Tell us about all of the pets currently living in your household. Please list species or breeds, as well as their ages and genders, and whether they are spayed or neutered.

If you have owned any pets prior to the ones listed above, what happened to those pets? Have you returned a pet to a breeder, sold or given a pet away, euthanized a pet, or turned a pet over to a shelter or rescue group? What were the circumstances?

What type (and brand, if applicable) of food do you feed to your current dog(s)?

How many people currently live in your household, including yourself, and what are their ages? Are any members of your household physically, mentally, or emotionally impaired?

Who will be the primary caregiver for this puppy?

Is everyone living in your household in agreement with getting a new puppy?

What type of housing do you live in, and do you rent or own your home? Are you planning a move in the foreseeable future?

Would you prefer a male or a female puppy? Why?

What are you hoping to do, or accomplish with, your new puppy? Conformation shows, weightpull, obedience, agility, sports such as flyball, breeding, and/or family companion? Please feel free to mention anything that we may not have listed.

On an average day, how much total time do you expect that the puppy will be left alone? Additionally, what is the longest consecutive amount of time that you expect for the puppy to be left alone?

How do you plan to house the puppy in the daytime, and at night? Will the puppy be loose in the house, outside in a kennel, outside on a chain, etc? Do you intend to crate train the puppy?

Do you have a fenced yard? If so, what type of fence, and how tall is it at its lowest point? If you do not have a fenced yard, how do you plan to potty and exercise your puppy?

Are you aware of the tendencies for American Pit Bull Terriers toward animal aggression, regardless of whether they have been raised and socialized with other animals?

How have you prepared yourself, particularly if you have a multiple animal household, should your new puppy become animal aggressive at any point during its adult life?

Would you be willing to sign a legally binding contract, agreeing to return the dog to us at any point in his or her life, should you need to rehome the dog for any reason?

Would you be willing to have the dog PennHIP x-rayed and OFA certified via cardiologist at an appropriate age, and provide us with the reports, regardless of the outcome?

How do you plan to bring your puppy home? Will you be driving to pick the puppy up in person, or will you be using an airline?

Would you be willing to allow us, or someone whom we trust to represent us, to come and do a home inspection prior to agreeing to place a puppy with you?

• Please provide us with your current veterinarian’s contact information. If you do not have a current veterinarian, please provide us with the information for a veterinarian you have used in the recent past.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Silence, peasants.

I can see why they'd be good, but I'm more comfortable writing my own email and pulling my thoughts together that way. The thing I really hate to see on them is questions designed to 'catch you' being wrong. If someone's new to the dog-buying or owning process, that seems a little unfair.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Allons-y!

I really like questionnaires. I'm a little anal and have a thing for lists, so it's just a good way to hit all the questions I want to ask without leaving anything out. Like others have said, none of the questions I ask really have a right or wrong, which encourages people to be honest. I try not to make it too long or difficult to fill out either - some people give me one word responses, while others give me their life story in essays. Either is fine. I guess some questions might seem invasive (I ask if any household members have disabilities, ages of kids in the home) but people always have the option of leaving those blank. I haven't had any problems with that though - I think it's much easier to bring up those kinds of things in a written, Q&A format than in conversation. I do ask for a vet reference, but in all honesty I don't usually call them because I know the puppy buyer well enough by that point. I'd only call if I was unsure of the suitability of a home.

I don't think that a questionnaire should ever be a substitute for dialogue. When someone emails me, I always exchange several emails with them before sending the questionnaire - answering all of their questions, telling them about our dogs and breeding plans, etc. This lets me build a bit of a relationship first, and weed out the people who make me uncomfortable right from the get-go; those ones usually get the "Oh sorry, the waiting list is full!" replies.

Here's ours (in the process of copying this, I realized that it's been saved as "Questionairre" instead of "Questionnaire" the entire time. Oops. Sorry puppy people, I'm not actually an idiot, I just pretend sometimes)

Aurai Sighthounds Puppy Questionnaire
Contact Info

Date:
Name(s):
Address:
Email:
Phone Number(s) (and best time to reach you):
Occupation(s):

Puppy Preferences

[ ] Female
[ ] No preference

About You
Is everyone in your household in agreement with adding a dog to the family?

Describe your household - how many people are living in your home? If you have children, please list their ages and anything else that might be relevant.

What type of home do you have?
[ ] House
[ ] Townhouse
[ ] Apartment/Condo
[ ] Farm
[ ] Other (please describe)

What type of community do you live in?
[ ] Urban
[ ] Suburban
[ ] Rural

Do you own or rent? If you rent, will you be able to provide us with written permission from your landlord allowing you to have a dog?

Does anyone in your family have any disabilities, serious allergies, or any other health problems that might relate to which type of dog would be suitable?

Please list all pets you currently own, including species, breed/mix, gender, and whether they are spayed or neutered.

Do you have a fenced-in yard? If so, please describe it (size, height, type of fence – chain link, invisible, etc). If not, please describe how you plan to exercise your dog.

Who will be the primary caretaker(s) of the dog?

Have you owned dogs in the past? If they are no longer with you, please tell us what happened to them.

Where will the dog live primarily (indoors, outdoors)?

Is someone home during the day? If not, how many hours will the puppy be alone and what arrangements will you make for him/her?

Do you allow dogs on the furniture?

Where will your dog sleep at night?

Please provide the contact information (name, clinic, and phone number) of your current veterinarian as a reference. If this does not apply to you, please provide the contact info for another relevant person to use as a reference.

How did you decide on the Longhaired Whippet as the breed for you?

What activities, if any, are you planning to pursue or might be interested in pursuing in the future? Check any and all that apply.
[ ] Conformation
[ ] Lure Coursing/Racing
[ ] Obedience/Rally
[ ] Agility
[ ] Hiking/Jogging
[ ] Hunting
[ ] Therapy
[ ] Service
[ ] Other (please list)

If you’re not planning on (a) showing your dog or (b) getting your puppy with a breeding contract, would you be willing to spay or neuter him/her?

Are you planning to attend puppy classes?

If circumstances change and you are no longer able to care for your dog, would you be willing to return the dog to us?

This information will be used to help find the perfect Longhaired Whippet for you. If we don’t have the right one, do we have your permission to forward this to other breeders?

My contact info

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

I do like what Ownedby, Seven, and Speedydogs have said best, to have it mostly set up so that there really isn't a "right and wrong" answer. We all know how situations could sound so great yet be used so badly, such as "I have a large fully fenced yard" and yet the never walk the dog or train it or even clean up the yard, where someone in a small two bedroom apartment spends at least a few hours a day jogging and spending time with nature.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

Thank you to everyone who responded. I have never used questionnaires with my litters as I have always felt that people are more likely to be dishonest with their answers when they have time to think about an answer than if speaking directly to them on the phone and they have to answer right away. Now that I have thought about it, a brief questionnaire would be a better way of opening conversation than me asking "please tell me a bit about your family and what you are looking for in a dog".

Now, does anyone know of a good (free) program that would allow me to make a questionnaire form that people fill in the blanks or do multiple choice for? Something that when once made I can just copy/paste the html onto a webpage?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind a good questionairre. Actually it totally appeals to my ocd organization tendancies, lol.

I've only filled out one in my breeder search and honestly I feel like the breeders I've chatted with without one, I not only shared all the same information, but I was more upfront about asking them about things like epilepsy, etc. in the lines and more comfortable discussing things like environmental/social soundness. I think that's more me clarifying to myself what I want in future puppeh and breeder than anything to do with having a questionairre or not though.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

I've always liked the ones that are just a word document and instructions to attach to an email. It leaves more room for longer answers, adding your own thoughts etc..

the fill in the blank ones on websites feel like I'm ordering something off amazon or something
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
I do like what Ownedby, Seven, and Speedydogs have said best, to have it mostly set up so that there really isn't a "right and wrong" answer. We all know how situations could sound so great yet be used so badly, such as "I have a large fully fenced yard" and yet the never walk the dog or train it or even clean up the yard, where someone in a small two bedroom apartment spends at least a few hours a day jogging and spending time with nature.
Agreed. Like my mother for instance.

The only questions I have a hard time answering that are actually legitimate questions are about base housing. The housing office doesn't care what animal we get or have as long as it isn't on the banned list. So I'm typically really happy to fax/attach a copy of the Pet portion of our lease to my email. I mean, technically, it's a "renting" situation, right? But for some reason it always ends up super awkward, if they respond at all. Like military = instant no. Let alone if I answer the "Ages" question. Then that's a "Hell no".

I should just go with Chaz people who already "know me". And I know them. Dogs are awesome. And their questionnaire's aren't awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDogs View Post
Now, does anyone know of a good (free) program that would allow me to make a questionnaire form that people fill in the blanks or do multiple choice for? Something that when once made I can just copy/paste the html onto a webpage?
I'd just use Microsoft Word, or a similar program. I don't like any of the Adobe questionnaire's because it's impossible to fill out the form without printing it, hand writing, then copying it again. Then it's just a mess. Plus, Word documents can be copied and posted right into the email or sent as an attachment to an email, and virtually everyone has that program and would be able to open it. If I have to download something in order to get the breeder's questionnaire, it isn't happening.