Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Breed young while stronger, or older with titles?

For girls that is....

Had that chat today again while helping with a litter. The tossup is do you title your girls then breed when older (5-6) or breed closer to 2 years of age when they're not as likely to have as many performance titles, but likely better at reproduction? Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Theres got to be some sort of happy medium is my thoughts. Why not breed at three or four with more titles than a two year old but younger than a six year old?

Personally, Ive met a few females that I would have bought a puppy out of, if the sire was titled or doing actual work. A few female drug dogs come to mind specifically. Health testing and doing real work matter more to me than titles though.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

So far what I'm planning (for now anyway) is to breed young, mainly to get something else on the ground since I just have the one girlie. Doing an outcross and then perhaps more of a linebreeding, with access (ok likely keeping a pup each time) and see how they mature, then deciding if I want to breed again or spay if I'm happy with what I have. If not, I'd have a better idea of what she'll produce and she'll have had time for some titles and working too. Seeing too many awesome girls that are older and not having any litters at all for my liking.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Aware

If I were to breed, I'd shoot for a first litter somewhere between 3-4 years. I feel 2 is too early for most breeds, but that's me.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Aussie Obssessed

I wont be breeding Lark until after her third birthday.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

While you are probably not going to be achieving the pinnacle in any particular activity (barring a truly standout dog and the dedication of an excepionally large amount of resources) there is no reason a 3, even 2-year-old dog can't have some worthwhile titles, tests, and/or work experience under their belt already.

And what do you mean by young? If you're talking sub-2 there wouldn't even be official hip rad done yet.

I frankly don't see the hurry other than not going past what is safe for the bitch having a first or subsequent litter. Mira will be 4 for her litter, and that time has given us the opportunity to see how she really is maturing physically and explore her personality and working instincts in order to identify her best match...as well as earn titles get health tests done and all that.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

I don't like to breed too young for the simple reason that even with health clearances that genetic issues (unless ruled out by DNA testing if available) often don't appear before 4-5 + yrs. Also depends on the breed and what is the recommended age.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

If I breed someday, I plan on having the first litter out of a bitch at around 3-5 years old. Old enough to give me a better idea of who she is and how she works, medical issues, temperament testing, titles, etc - but young enough she could still have a couple litters if she's worthy of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Its not unreasonable to expect titles before breeding.

Three to four is a healthy start, Backups mom was five before her first and only breeding. Starting around 5-6 is pretty typical for malinois in work, it seems.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Top Dog

I would probably shoot for around 3 as a good age for a litter. That said, both my bitches were bred at 4. Tully, because I hadn't originally been planning to breed her, I decided to do so sometime after she was 3, and I had to do the various tests, etc, to get ready. Tess I always knew I would breed, but I had trouble finding the right stud. And the male I ultimately used was younger than ideal when I used him, but I just didn't want to wait any longer, since she was already 4, and I was able to clear the time in her competition schedule and arrange time off work for myself.