Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Active Pup

Question Anyone know about Pugs?

Hi, I need some help in deciding if a pug is right for my life or not. I've been researching the breed and a pug seemed perfect for my fiancee and I. We're moving into a small condo and we have a 3 year old cat (she's very playful and she's lived with my fiancee's parent's dog for almost 2 years. The dog's old so she doesn't play but it's very apparent that our cat just wants to play with the dog. So I think she'd get along with a little playful pug.) So from what I've read about them, they'd be the perfect breed. But then I read a little something that said that they NEED people around at all times. My fiancee and I both work Mon-Fri. 9-5. What do other dog loving people do when they work normal 9-5 hours? Is it adviseable not to get a dog or are there breeds to consider that don't freak out when being left alone, or maybe other options?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Felurian

One of my good friends had a pug and a Himalayan cat. She and her husband also worked during the day. The pug and cat kept each other company and played together during the day. He was a sweet, adorable, well adjusted little fellow; the only strange habit I ever knew him to have was not wanting to let visitors leave. Whenever someone visiting tried to walk out the front door, he would bite at their shoes. My friend just made sure there were always plenty of toys for the two animals to play with while she was gone and kept Pugs confined to her big kitchen and den. Other than that, she never had to do anything special.

I would, however, suggest that you bring your new puppy home on a Friday afternoon after work so you'll have all weekend to spend together and get everyone adjusted.