Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm All Ears

Default I need some advice/prayers

Advice: I am trying to organize something to help my friend (who is an older gentleman) that has cancer. Hes has mast cell lymphoma and prostrate cancer and he started chemo this past week.

What would be a good thing to send? A lot of people want to do food but I'm not sure how much he will be capable of eating during chemo. Any other ideas?

Rant: I'm getting completely worn out with this cancer thing. Two years ago my cousin was diagnosed with lymphoma. It keeps coming back. He ended up not coming to thanksgiving because he was sick again. Then my friend with the brain tumor is still having trouble and still having to go through immense physical therapy for it. Then my friend mentioned above. One of Rhonda's cousins died of bone cancer the day before thanksgiving. And there is another lady (cousin's in law but she comes to holiday stuff with us) who is suffering from bone cancer. She came to thanksgiving but is now back in the hospital and not doing well.

Then my dad texts me last night that my other cousin, who was absolutely FINE over thanksgiving went to the doctor because his knee was hurting and he has bone cancer too. It's just so random as I said, he was fine. Just a little bit of pain in his knee and that's what they found. He's being transferred to MD Anderson. Between him and my cousin with lymphoma, there's 9 kids age 13 to 2 who have fathers with cancer. I feel so bad for my aunt and uncle. My aunt is still recovering from surgery herself on her leg and can barely walk. But it's just never ending for them.

I just want people to stop getting sick! It seems like since my mom had her tumor, it's just non stop cancer everywhere. If you could spare a thought or prayer for any of them, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

I don't have any advice, but cancer is evil and horrible and way too common

I'm 22 years old, and at least 6 of my friends, my age, have fought cancer - one lost the battle. That's not counting the dozens of people I know who lost parents before age 18, the funerals I've gone to for women 45-55 years old who passed away leaving teenagers or young kids behind. I know two people now, my age, who have children who have battled or are battling cancer, I can't even imagine.

I just don't understand how no one's found more help for these people, more of a cure, more successful treatments. It's one of the worst parts of living in the world, because it's beyond anyone's control.

(hugs) and vibes for your family and friends fighting and the loved ones watching them go through it

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Felurian

That's too much, Laur.

Well, ANY cancer is too much.

As far as food goes, I think you're right. When my mom was doing hospice nursing, I noticed that her patients would have an appetite for specific things, but everything else either wasn't appetizing or made them slightly nauseous. High calorie stuff can be helpful.

Things like those disposable heating patches can be good to have, things to do that don't take a lot of energy, maybe a gift certificate for e-books or audiobooks, music . . .

One of mom's long term patients wanted to paint, so I cleaned and fired ceramic pieces for him to paint.

Every one has different wants, of course, and maybe the biggest thing is being the person who takes the time to listen and find out what they do want -- which you're very good at

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Twin 2.0

You might send them some graviola fruit/juice. They just released a study on it proving it's 10,000 times more effective than chemo for treating cancer.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I probably wouldn't do food. I know when my dad was in chemo he lost a lot of his tasting ability, though I don't know if that is common or not. Plus a lot of it would just come back up from the Chemo.

What about ordering some kind of picture blanket, or support blanket? Something he can take to chemo sessions with him?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
You might send them some graviola fruit/juice. They just released a study on it proving it's 10,000 times more effective than chemo for treating cancer.
Do you have any more information on the study?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry Laur.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

That is just too much. Is this genetic or could there be something in the environment? It just seems like people close to you are being bombarded with cancer. WTF? I'm so very sorry for all this heart ache. The others gave you good advice. I can't think of anything as a gift any better than some of those ideas.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...viola-studies/

Before anybody rushes out to buy this graviola, it should be researched thoroughly. There really doesn't seem to be sufficient data on the effectiveness on humans. And there appear to be some scary side effects...neurological issues like Parkinson's disease symptoms. It would be cool if there were some awesome treatment, but I think they need to work on it more.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Advice: I am trying to organize something to help my friend (who is an older gentleman) that has cancer. Hes has mast cell lymphoma and prostrate cancer and he started chemo this past week.

What would be a good thing to send? A lot of people want to do food but I'm not sure how much he will be capable of eating during chemo. Any other ideas?

Rant: I'm getting completely worn out with this cancer thing. Two years ago my cousin was diagnosed with lymphoma. It keeps coming back. He ended up not coming to thanksgiving because he was sick again. Then my friend with the brain tumor is still having trouble and still having to go through immense physical therapy for it. Then my friend mentioned above. One of Rhonda's cousins died of bone cancer the day before thanksgiving. And there is another lady (cousin's in law but she comes to holiday stuff with us) who is suffering from bone cancer. She came to thanksgiving but is now back in the hospital and not doing well.

Then my dad texts me last night that my other cousin, who was absolutely FINE over thanksgiving went to the doctor because his knee was hurting and he has bone cancer too. It's just so random as I said, he was fine. Just a little bit of pain in his knee and that's what they found. He's being transferred to MD Anderson. Between him and my cousin with lymphoma, there's 9 kids age 13 to 2 who have fathers with cancer. I feel so bad for my aunt and uncle. My aunt is still recovering from surgery herself on her leg and can barely walk. But it's just never ending for them.

I just want people to stop getting sick! It seems like since my mom had her tumor, it's just non stop cancer everywhere. If you could spare a thought or prayer for any of them, it would be appreciated.
Holy crap, I am so so sorry laurelin prayers coming here your way & as we ACD ppl say my dogs are shining their "bentleys" towards you & your family