Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Default Ivermectin for Dogs?

I need opinions on using Ivermectin for dogs to prevent fleas and heartworm. Like the kind you get at feed stores. How valid is this? How safe is it? What if I have a collie breed? I have read about reactions in collie breeds. All dog people who know anything about this, especially those who have experience with it, please give me your feedback! Ready set go. =3

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

With my usual heartworm meds off the market, I've had to switch to one that includes Ivermectin. Of course I'm terrified given Gusto's genetic background. The vet assures me the level is low enough that, even if he had the issue, it wouldn't affect him. I've wondered if the extreme neurological reaction he had to his Advil episode points towards the glitch in the blood/brain barrier.

I'm having him tested. It's a do-it-yourself cheek swab. Among other things, he is at the horse barn often enough with me that I worry about him licking up a drop of horse wormer or something.

Without a confirmed mutation-free test, I wouldn't let any dog with a collie background near livestock ivermectin. It is much more concentrated than dog heartworm meds, and that isn't a gamble I'd be willing to take. I'm not sure I'd even risk it with a dog that doesn't have collie in the background.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Silence, peasants.

I haven't done it myself and I do not know the risks with collies exactly, but I know a lot of people who have livestock and border collies do use ivermectin without getting a reaction from their dogs.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

The issue with any dog that has collie heritage is that a small percentage have a gene mutation that basically makes it so that certain drugs cross the blood-brain barrier and can't cross back out (if I understand correctly). Therefore, tiny doses can be very toxic. With Ivermectin, it only takes 1/200th of the normal toxic dose for a dog to kill a dog affected by the gene.

From what I've read, BC are actually pretty low on the list of breeds affected, but certainly some are.

Like I said, it isn't a gamble I'd take with my dog. I expect many, many people do it with no issues.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

I thought of using ivermectin but I just can't bring myself to risk it. Personally, I'd try to find another route, or do this DNA test if that can assure your dog won't react.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
The Littlest Hound

We use a tube of zimectrin gold horse wormer. Liz's breeder uses it on all her dogs without incident, so we picked up the habit. I believe the dose was 1/10th of a cc for every 10 pounds, so one tube lasts us forever.

ETA: I have hounds & a probably catahoula bulldog - if I had a collie breed I probably wouldn't risk it.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM
APBT crazy!

My friend used that on her ACD puppy, she overdosed him on it and he became blind within a few hours. He is ok now and can see, but it was scary. She didn't know about it being fatal to herding dogs. Even though they don't have a collie background, I'm just not risking it.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

It can be very, very easy to overdose a dog with the livestock Ivermectin. I don't recommend it to anyone, of any breed of dog, without first knowing that they are confident that they are knowledgeable in their measurements and that they won't overdose their dog. Personally, I'm terrible(dyslexic) with numbers. So while I KNOW the dosage information, I don't chance it myself.

Besides that point, I also wouldn't give it to any herding breed without the gene test first.

Just better safe than sorry with this sort of thing.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

I had a women once show me how to give it to my dogs in the form of the horse wormer paste, and it was extremely easy. HOWEVER, Ivermectin is a sketchy drug to work with, and if you don't know the exact dosage, you could make your dog seriously sick.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Obey the Toad.

I thought about it briefly when buying dewormer for the horse before, but am concerned about getting the dosage wrong.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.