Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Show Dog

Default Adding Garlic

Is it okay to add a little garlic to a dog's diet? Are there any health benefits in doing so? I read somewhere that adding garlic to a dog's food repels fleas.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
SBT Lover!!

It's funny, I've heard good things and bad about garlic. We sell a product at the shop that is supposed to repel fleas and it contains garlic. People say it works well. I've also heard some say that dogs shouldn't be fed garlic, though I've never seen any evidence to back up that claim.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 AM
Top Dog

Garlic and garlic powder was listed by ASPCA as one of the human foods that have dangerous effects if ingested by dogs. Garlic can damage red blood cells and cause gastrointestinal problems. On the other hand, some owners have attested to the healthful effects of garlic thus commercial pet foods that contain this pungent bulb as ingredient are given to the dogs. ASPCA has also mentioned that a small amount of garlic given to the dog OCCASIONALLY is safe. The dosage that would already be poisonous to the dog though was not mentioned. So would you or would you not give your dog garlic? This will be a "feed at your own risk" case.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

I've been giving dogs garlic for 50 years. None of my dogs has ever had problems from it, and my shortest lived dog was my beagle at just short of 12. He loved the stuff, and we sprinkled garlic on it almost every day.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Garlic is healthy and good. It causes harm in massive MASSIVE doses, like so much it would be ridiculous and obvious.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

I've used "bug off" garlic in Boo's food. it's basically just garlic powder that is marketed for dogs. Same stuff I think, though.

My issue with it was that Boo really didn't like the flavor of her food when I would add the recommended daily dose to her food. It *did* help with the ticks though. Now, when we go in the woods in the midsummer, I mix the garlic powder with water and rub it on her lower legs. She smells a bit like an Italian dinner, but it seems to help repel the ticks.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

I'll put a clove of garlic sometimes in the liver treats I make. The whole recipe makes a 9 x 11 pan of treats. I think it can be harmful in large amounts. I wouldn't feed a lot of it though.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Show Dog

So what exactly are the health benefits of garlic to dogs? Do you think it would be okay to add some to the diet of a 5 lb. chihuahua?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...es/5409-1.html

only a partial article (have to subscribe for full) but it gives some info
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Gipsy had garlic in her food her whole life, and it never bothered her. Never had a flee in her life either.. thank god.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.