Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Active Pup

Default What breed is this dog?

Can anyone tell me what breed this is

My partner thinks it is a German Shepherd crossed with a Rottie

I would really appreciate any advice people can offer

Thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 AM
I may bite... grrr!

Hi Peeps,

He still looks like a young dog so he could be a German Shepherd, unless you know for sure that it's a cross-breed. Otherwise i'd agree with your partner it looks small for a German Shepherd and a little "Stocky" also the markings on the chest seem to be similar to a Rottweiler or it also could be a cross with a breed called Beauceron.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Active Pup

When I rescued her they told me she was five months but according to her vaccination card she is more like 7/8 months

Judging by her paws she is going to be huge!

Also, neither of us have seen a GSD with that shade of tan. She has very loaded shoulders, far more loaded than my partners previous GSDs', and also the width across her hind quarters and the set of her tail. It has a very distinctive hook, all indicative of some sort of crossbreeding with a rottweiler type dog

Also there is a tendancy to stand four square all the time which tends to show not a pure bred GSD

She also has the distinctive rottie tan eyebrows!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:08 PM
I may bite... grrr!

She does have the markings of a rottweiler and now that you have mentioned it she does have large paws... but she also has the face of a GSD and she doesn't have a saddle markings on the back she's all black. It's quite hard to put my finger on exactly what crosses she is. Did the Rescue Centre have any sort of idea or the Vets when her details had to be entered on the Vaccination Card.

I'd say that there is a Rottweiler/GSD mix in her and possibly a Beauceron (same markings as Rottie and Doberman) but she does have alot of brown around her legs and paws...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Alpha Dog

I's a German Doberottie

Chazhound
Old 01-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Active Pup

On the vaccination certificate it just says crossbreed

Her previous owners said she was a GSD crossed with an alsation

So we thought she was a purebred GSD and that the previous owners had got her breeding wrong, until we saw her and knew straight away that she wasn't like any GSD we had seen before.

Someone said that she looks just like a GSD they had once owned but someone else showed me a photo of their GSD Rottie and Fizz looks exactly the same, right down to the tan eybrows!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Felurian

I've seen GSDs with those colors, so I wouldn't discredit the GSD on that score. She does look predominantly German Shepherd. I'm not certain what the technical differences, if any, are between a GSD and an Alsatian, but they are essentially very, very similar. The eyebrows are also seen on German Shepherds, and that nose is pure Shepherd. You may very well have a pure-bred German Shepherd. The photo doesn't show the whole tail, so we can't see what you were referring to by the hook.

One thing you've got to take into consideration when comparing her to your partner's previous GSDs is that there is a wide variance in GSDs, and as far as her stance, well, pups often tend to square up like that instead of assuming the typical sweeping stance of the adult dog.

I can't help but think that if there was much - or any Rottie - in the mix her ears wouldn't be standing up so well either.

She's lovely and has all the makings of a gorgeous dog. And what a face!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-09-2005, 03:06 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Looks like a full blooded GSD to me..
Old 01-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Yes it does to me too. Brady has a friend who is a GSD mix and though his ears stand up, especially when called to attention, his don't stand as nearly as well as that. I would love to see a full bodied pic including the tail though.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Active Pup

Here you can see her from the side including the hook in her tail

Please excuse the mess, she had just created havoc!