Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Creekside Border Collies are my absolute favorite I know quite a few of them well, and know the breeder a bit. If my friend ever breeds her male from there, I will be living out of my car so I don't have to deal with my condos 2-dog limit, and selling my soul so I can have a puppy. He's pretty much my favorite dog ever other than my own (and some days he might move ahead of Gusto ).
Awesome, glad to hear a 2nd rec! Do you know which litter he's from? The breeder I'm currently looking at on my side of the border's dog sired two of Creekside's litters.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
I have met plenty of Powertripp and TNT dogs.

Right now PT is planning a litter between Shayde (a Rival kennel bred dog) and Imp. Jim. Jim is smooth and Shayde doesn't have much coat, so you won't be dealing with gobs of hair. It should be an excellent breeding. They don't breed very often, and I don't know if they even have room on their current list. PT lines main sire has produced epilepsy - the breeder discloses this - but the breeding occurring now is entirely unrelated to that male. Every PT I've met was soft over hard, but not excessively soft. They were outgoing, social and happy dogs.
PM me if you want further information or have specific questions.
Ivan Weir's Jim? That's exactly the stud for my breeder's current litter. The dam is HL's Beauty, who is a sister to Finn's sire. Fun fact!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Awesome, glad to hear a 2nd rec! Do you know which litter he's from? The breeder I'm currently looking at on my side of the border's dog sired two of Creekside's litters.
My favorite is from the 2006 litter; she also has one from the 2008 Mirk litter who is very cool, although much less my kind of dog.

I used to house-sit for another one from the 2006 litter that was also a super cool dog, and very much the type I would want to live and work with. Overall, I just really like every dog I've seen from there.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM
and Spy.

Spy is out of a TNT bitch, but not bred by Tiffany.

He has fabulous focus and is as biddable as I had hoped. He also has never had problems with an off-switch, he calms right down and sleeps in the house no problem. That's what I love about him, *always* ready to do an activity but very quick to relax and take the hint that the game is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
The Monster.

I'm planning way WAY early and won't be getting a BC pup for at least 1 or 2 years, if not more. So I'll not be looking at any planned breedings any time soon.

I imagine that most BCs out of working and/or sport lines won't be registered with the CKC, right?

Seeing as how I want to do competitive obedience with the dog, how do most people do this? Do they compete in the CKC with a PEN? I admit all I know of obedience is the CKC stuff -- I can't even remember the names of the other clubs that offer competitions. Are these other clubs active in S. Ontario?

I'm feeling really torn between going working or sporter collie. I think the deciding factor will be chatting with breeders and finding one that clicks for me, since I'm hearing the same desirable traits I'm looking for on both sides.

e: I've also had my eye on Creekside for a little while. I don't necessarily love the look of their dogs, but I've heard them spoken of very well.

Planning this several years in advance I feel like I have the opportunity to be really picky about the look of my dog. Colour-wise, I really don't care (blue merle would be nice... but that's the Aussie lover in me coming out). I just want a medium length coat, a nicelyconformation. formed head (some BCs have some zany stops) and good overall

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog

Last edited by Sekah; 12-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Water Junkie

I would imagine sport-bred would be very much eligible for CKC. Working-bred would just need to be PAL/or whatever the CKC version of this is.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

I was told before that if the dog had CBCA papers, you had to get the breeder of the dog to sign the CKC form to get registration. But calling the CKC direct, they said no, like any registry, the dog is registered, they just issue the number. A CBCA breeder may not want you to get the CKC number though, some are funny that way, but you can pretty much just do it with your papers without them anyhow.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
My favorite is from the 2006 litter; she also has one from the 2008 Mirk litter who is very cool, although much less my kind of dog.

I used to house-sit for another one from the 2006 litter that was also a super cool dog, and very much the type I would want to live and work with. Overall, I just really like every dog I've seen from there.
Not to keep on hijacking this thread, but I shall one more time. Ah, my potential puppy breeder's dog is Imp. Chip, so not related to those ones, just their other 2008 litter and their 2010 litter are the ones he sired. Cheers anyway!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM
The Monster.

I'm bumping this thread to ask what people's impressions are of Cedar Border Collies.

http://cedarbordercollies.com/index.html

I know that they bred S. Garrett's Buzz, and quite honestly, that is NOT the type of dog I'm looking for. He seems too difficult and driven for a relatively green handler like me.

However, these dogs are GORGEOUS, and I'd be lying if I said that looks weren't important to me. I also know that breeders breeding solely for red BCs aren't exactly ideal - I don't care if my future BC is black or red.

What sort of temperaments do these dogs tend to have? Would you describe them as stable? Or no?

First and foremost I'm looking for a stable family companion, and performance is secondary.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Well and if I'm not mistaken, Garrett hasn't gotten another dog from them and has criticized Buzz's structure quite a bit. She's gotten her more recent dogs from Bo-Tyne I think?

Another Ontario breeder is Rival BCs. The only dogs I've met from them are Linda Mecklenburg's but they seem rational as well as driven and biddable. Small sample and with an exceptional trainer, though. I don't know anything about their breeding practices.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13