Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
orange iguanas.

I'd do what you can with RMBs, but if those don't help and her teeth look like they need some help... yeah I'd do it. I just think it'll be better for her in the long run, she's still so young that you don't really want to start having dental problems now.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

I would do the bones, and start working on scaling with her to get her used to it. Start with just the scaler and tapping a tooth, then release and reward. Then work towards a scrape, then release, and so on. It's the best way to get the stuff off and easier on her in the long run to be able to do it with her awake and keep up on it, over having to debate on how bad to let them get before you put her under. I've worked with dogs that 'hate' it but learn that there's not an option and get over it, sometimes with the owners taking the dog and using a spoon to teach them what's expected and that it's no big deal.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
such sights to show you

Yup, I would. I'm far more scared of bad dental disease than I am of anesthesia.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yup, I would. I'm far more scared of bad dental disease than I am of anesthesia.
That. It can cause all kinds of long-term problems!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely would do the dental. IMO, it's far more risky to let a dog live with bad teeth and develop periodontal disease among other things, than the risk of anesthesia.

I think dentals are important anyway. Only so much can be said by looking at their mouth and putting in sprays and gels etc. Even with a scaler, you can't get up under the gumline like a vet can while they're under. Sometimes things may look fine but not be. Jackson had to have a tooth that I thought looked perfectly fine pulled because it was dead. Had no clue until x-rays showed otherwise. That would have really gotten badly infected and been much worse had I not brought him in there for another issue.

I was nervous leaving Jax too, but I made sure to get pre-op bloodwork beforehand and they did x-rays first, and cleaned his teeth really well. He was very clingy and whiny after anesthesia but otherwise came thru just fine!

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Newt has had two dentals so far, and will have another next year. No matter the raw bones, sealants, etc, I think she just has genetically crappy teeth.

I would do the dental. She can have much more troublesome things happen from dental disease than the chance of something happening under anesthesia.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to try the things that were suggested for a month, and then schedule a dental for January after we get home from vacation. Chloe needs one too, so they can just go together. I think Chloe and Emma have genetically bad teeth. Tucker's are amazing, and Rylie had a dental a couple of years ago (they still look good).

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Well, I did find something interestingly different the other day, a local friend on Facebook posted before and after pics of a friends mini Schnauzer who had very bad plaque build up, they went in together on a new sonic plaque blasting device that a vendor was selling at a dog show, $400. I was still waiting to hear back about the brand/vendor, I'll have to go check out to see if she posted that info, but from other people commenting one thing that was brought up, when you have teeth traditionally scaled it actually causes the teeth to develop plaque again quicker as it's damaging to the surface, where is seems with this water powered device instead the plaque is gently "blasted" and brushed off the teeth instead, less damage=less rebuilding of plaque. IDK, now I'm more curious to look it up than ever! But $400 is deff out of my budget right now.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I absolutely would do the dental. IMO, it's far more risky to let a dog live with bad teeth and develop periodontal disease among other things, than the risk of anesthesia.

I think dentals are important anyway. Only so much can be said by looking at their mouth and putting in sprays and gels etc. Even with a scaler, you can't get up under the gumline like a vet can while they're under. Sometimes things may look fine but not be. Jackson had to have a tooth that I thought looked perfectly fine pulled because it was dead. Had no clue until x-rays showed otherwise. That would have really gotten badly infected and been much worse had I not brought him in there for another issue.

I was nervous leaving Jax too, but I made sure to get pre-op bloodwork beforehand and they did x-rays first, and cleaned his teeth really well. He was very clingy and whiny after anesthesia but otherwise came thru just fine!

Absolutely. I agree. It's not so much the teeth, but up under the gum line...beyond the teeth where the plaque can build unseen for a long time. I let Chulita's go for too long once and she wound up having to have a lot of teeth pulled. And the heart complications and I think kidneys that can result from periodontal disease. Frightening stuff.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Taxiderpy

Not to mention bad teeth are extremely painful to live with.

Do RMBs help at all with plaque under the gumline or are they just visible surface cleaners too?