Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default What would your dogs do?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...211754888.html

Quote:
An unintentionally hilarious investigation into the effectiveness of guard dogs finds that if you're a loving pet owner, your dog probably can't be counted on to stop intruders.
CBS Atlanta teamed up with some local dog owners and a professional dog trainer to see if burglars have much, if anything, to fear. The station enlisted the help of Jeff Schettler, who runs the Georgia K9 National Training Center.
Schettler dressed in a 40-pound protective suit and entered each dog owner's home, simulating a burglary. And unfortunately for the dog owners, had Schettler been a real criminal, he would have made it out safely in every single attempt.
"Even when they are in their own home, they can be a bit nervous," he told the station.
And even when they aren't nervous, they might just be downright friendly. For example, Star, a 10-pound papillon mix, let Schettler cradle her in his arms and carry her outside the home.
The other guard dogs in the test included a 38-pound Brittany spaniel named Calico; a 29-pound English Staffordshire terrier (aka, pit bull) named Bindi; an 85-pound Rottweiler named Roxie; and Kevlar, a 100-pound German shepherd.
If you guessed the pit bull would be the most ferocious, you'd be dead wrong. In fact, Bindi performs tricks for Schettler when he enters her home, repeatedly waving her front paw in his direction and licking his face.
Kevlar puts up the most resistance, nipping at Schettler's legs when he heads upstairs to the area that contains the dog's kennel. But even then, Kevlar quickly retreats, running back downstairs and leaving Schettler to go about his business.
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/video?auto...clipId=7947249
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Benji would run and hide...or possibly bark.

Milo...he might be okay/friendly if someone came in wearing regular clothes, but I think the protective suit would freak him out. He'd posture and bark, but unless the intruder threatened him, us, or was violent, he wouldn't try to attack.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I'm really not sure. Rylie and Chloe would probably hide under one of the couches or bed. I could see Emma and Tucker barking at them, but then running if the intruder tried to make a move. Rory would probably smother them with kisses.

I guess it's kind of a good thing that most of my dogs would run and hide- I'd much rather a thief just come in and take what they wanted without a chance of the dogs being harmed.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Elsie's rushed people who've entered. She backs them into a corner barking at them. I don't know what she'd do if they kept walking.

I came in the back door once (which I had never done before), and was back-lit. I didn't say anything and she came at me low and fast with her teeth out.

I'd be pretty surprised if she was friendly towards a stranger breaking into the house.

Zobby does not care at all. He ignores people until we've greeted them.
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey would help them carry their haul out the door Or watch them from the couch.

When she was younger, she has stopped what I suspect could have been a burglary, though. Probably more so because there was a dog than her being "mean"

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Resident fainting goat

I'm a dog walker. I'm coming into people's homes around their dogs ALL THE TIME. Even when it comes to very new dogs that have never seen me before or had a walker.. even if they start out apprehensive or aggressive even.. I keep a friendly demeanor and they ALWAYS mellow out.

I walk for a family that has two malinois and a GSD. They are very protective of their family when people come over and we were concerned at first that they might take me entering the home and taking them out very well.
Without their people there.. they were LOUD but within a few minutes they weren't barking and were curious enough to come sniff me. It took a while to gain the trust enough to get leashes on/go walking but coming into the house was easy other than the noise. and if nobody was home and I wanted to steal then..who cares about some barking really?

IMO the only thing MOST dogs are really protective of, is their owners. Threaten that and most dogs would react.
but wander around and maybe steal a few things? Nope. Once the initial "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!! NEW PERSON! BARK BARK WHO ARE YOU!!" ...I don't expect much.
My dogs would alert bark a new person.. but if nobody was home and this person just walked in.. I doubt they would do ANYTHING. They might even be really friendly if he went into the drawer with the leashes or stepped on a toy lol

The danger of hoping for and training a dog to bite intruders.. is how does a dog really know what an intruder is? A stranger in the house? That's a disaster waiting to happen. A stranger at night? again..disaster. Someone there when their owners aren't? Disaster. what about dog walkers? landlords? etc..
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I guess it's kind of a good thing that most of my dogs would run and hide- I'd much rather a thief just come in and take what they wanted without a chance of the dogs being harmed.
This. I'd much rather somebody steal things and Rosey let them than Rosey be shot or stabbed or otherwise hurt.

ETA: Whenever a thread like this comes up, it always makes me think back to all that happened to Tempie while Jes was out of the house.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

Caleb would probably make enough noise while someone was breaking in to discourage them (he can sound pretty ferocious). Guaranteed, tho, if the noise didn't scare them off, he'd greet them with a toy in his mouth like they were old friends, and probably help them carry stuff out.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Oddly enough, he'd let whomever into my house, but if anyone tried to get into the car with him inside they'd be looking at A LOT of stitches.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
orange iguanas.

There'd be a lot of noise but at the end of the day, my dogs are both wusses and would never get close enough to a stranger.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013