Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Felurian

ROFL! I've been threatening to go on a diet - the EVO diet! It's undoubtedly healthier than most of the stuff at the grocery store!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Island dweller

Hee hee hee. I'm glad you find me so amusing. I was being mostly serious. Well, sort of. I meet a lot of people on raw diets but they are mostly vegetarians so that's not so bad. But, really, before we invented fire we ate raw meat too.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Felurian

Oh, I figured you were mostly serious; I was mostly joking! I've read articles about raw diets for humans. I think Jack LaLane is a proponent of at least a mostly raw diet. How old is he now, 1,000? I saw him on TV a couple of months ago and he looks great. He may live to be 150. I seriously doubt I want to live that long!

My sister is a vegetarian. She became one in college and came home lecturing us about how cruel it was to eat other animals. She hit me when I asked her why she was still wearing leather . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Island dweller

LOL, yeah. That's a common thing with vegetarians. People have all different ideas about being vegetarian and really there are tons of different kinds: ovo-lacto, lacto, vegan (life-style or just diet), macro-biotic, raw foods... And within all of that there are tons of different variations. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian although I rarely eat dairy or eggs so I could call myself a part-time vegan but that offends vegans.

<rollseyes>

I wear leather although most of it is from pre-veg. I have no qualms about buying used leather because the meat industry doesn't benefit some people do though because they feel they are "advertising" leather. I think fur is a horrible thing to wear because there is no purpose except fashion. And minks and other animals like that have horrible living conditions.

It's such a confusing issue. And so many people get really defensive about it. I don't care if others are vegetarian or not. Even if animals were killed/raised more humanely I still wouldn't eat meat. I don't like it. I would love to see slaughter methods changed and people incorporating more veggies/fruits/grains in their diets. I figure that's about all I can hope for.

So, I've gone off on a rant in a non-related thread. Oh well. At least the thread was about food!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Felurian

I tried a vegetarian diet, ovo-lacto, for 90 days when I was body building. I got very ill. My body just doesn't function well that way. I do prefer the way we get our meat now - very Zen - we have two freezers full of Angus from having to humanely put down our big bull, Buddy. I had to stop and think about it before I could deal with that, but then realized that using what Buddy left us productively honored his spirit much more than wasting it. Very Zen, I learned - we eat what's given to us.

I never thought I'd cry over a bull.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Island dweller

To me, all animals are the same. I'd cry over my horses so it's completey rational to cry over a bull or chicken. They all have individual personalities.

My bf worked for two-weeks at a slaughter house. I won't go into detail because it would make the average person gag but it almost made his carnivorous soul go veg! And definitely put him off of commercial dog food after he say the cancerous, pussy, tumour infested meat that went in the dog food bins. <blah> I said I wouldn't talk about it. Whoops!

It's definitely harder for some people to be veg. It was easy for me. I never liked meat much anyway. I can't really say why it didn't work for you. I choose to believe that it could have with a different diet... But that's just because I believe in vegetarianism. I hope that doesn't offend you. it's just not something I'm ready to let go of yet. Silly. That's just how I am
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 AM
Felurian

I've often thought our bodies function best if we take into consideration what our ethnic ancestors way back ate. We're pretty obviously of Irish and some Scots stock; our Celtic ancestors coped with a short growing season, harvested natural grains, fished in cold waters and raised cattle. As well as stole them back and forth from each other - that's probably why there are so many lawyers in the family . . .

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Island dweller

Yeah, I can see that being true. Fish is good for you. It's too bad the waters are so polluted now.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
The yoghurt is a great addition. Just make sure it has active cultures so your dog is getting the full benefit of the enzymes.

Some dogs don't like the sourness of plain yoghurt, but really love the vanilla. Just make sure you're not giving them the stuff that's sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Or you can take the plain yoghurt and put a spoonful of honey in it, preferably raw. Raw honey is a great addition to a dog's diet. Just remember, moderation is the key to everything.

If your dogs really like the milk, you can try them on calf milk replacer. You get it at farm supply stores and co-ops. It's different because all the fat has been removed. We supplement our pups with it, especially since they have such large frames. It's also much, much less expensive than using canned milk.

Another thing you can put on their food for a treat is unsalted chicken or beef broth. They love it. For a treat, I buy beef hearts and simmer them in a pot of water with a clove or two of garlic. It's the leanest meat you can find; just good solid protein, and you can freeze the broth in portion sized containers and thaw it out later to put over their dry food.
Wow... some really cool tips and advice; thanks all you guys. I quite surprised I didn't run into this web-site earlier . I visit a lot of forums, but most of my time is spent on car forums . But I'll be a regular over here for sure now.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Felurian

Glad you'll be with us! Atlanta's a great place to find a good used Porsche . . .

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian