Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Felurian

Have you asked the therapist for her recommendation?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
We are Home.

I havent seen her again. We wont be buying it until either right before or right after Christmas anyway.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Felurian

She can probably give you the best advice as she'll know which one has the best apps supported for Morgan, and coordinating with her might help with Morgan's therapy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

YES you can watch video on the nook if it is rooted.
http://n2acards.com/

is the site I ordered my sd card from for my nook color.
It let you use the nook in the google play store instead of making you buy apps from Barnes and noble.

I think with fire you have to use the amazon app store , which is more expensive than the regular google play store.

also with the rooted nook you can go through your local library.

if you get a nook or a fire and leave them unrooted your apps will be limited.
you get either rooted and you can get from the google play store which has all the apps from the other two stores and more.

I choose the nook color becasue i am a dummy with rooting things and i could get the sd card and just put it in and turn it on and it is good.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Ah well if your B&N isn't close then it's probably not worth it. Kindle is not a bad choice. I'll probably be getting their HD for the holidays. Unless I can find another decent one in that price range. I hate the 7 inch tablets.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
She can probably give you the best advice as she'll know which one has the best apps supported for Morgan, and coordinating with her might help with Morgan's therapy.
They have Ipad 2s provided to them and I'm sure thats the only one shes ever used. She cant even figure out her smart phone half the time when she has to answer it

I've found the same apps (win for remembering the app picture) on the Amazon store.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Cole's therapists use iPads. All the teachers in the school, especially Special Ed. teachers, have them and use them.

I thought loooong and hard about whether or not to buy one (over a year's worth of debating). But for right now, I will NOT.

For one, the cost. Neither my husband nor I even have one. It's hard to justify that kind of money when we have medical/therapy bills to pay off every other week. Two, let's face: when Cole has a meltdown, it's not an ordinary meltdown (as a mother of typical children and a non-typical child, it's quite easy to see the difference). In such meltdowns, he will forcefully throw things, kick things, etc. An iPad, even in an Otterbox, doesn't stand a chance (I know this because I've talked to several parents and teachers who've had the tablets broken by non-typical [new p.c. term for special needs] kids). If that were to happen, we'd be out a lot of money, and there's no way to replace it.

Right now we don't have a tablet at all. We've got a laptop and hubby and I both have iPhones. However, I've been researching the Leapfrog LeapPads for the past few months, and I went ahead and got Cole and Carson the LeapPad 2 (1 for each), and I found a special on Amazon for the LeapPad 1 for $35, so I bought one for Cooper. I'm excited for the boys to get them. They're quite sturdy, and they have a wide variety of apps and games. And Amazon has the $20 value app card for $14.99.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Felurian

Check this:

Quote:
Funding for iPads
Looking for an iPad? The Autism Society can help! Courtesy of the Autism Society***8217;s contact center, Autism Source, they have put together a list of organizations that offer grants and other assistance for individuals with autism who would like to purchase an iPad.
www.autism-society.org
In addition, Special Needs Apps for Kids has also put together a list of iPad funding opportunities.
SNApps4Kids.com
http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-s...-opportunities

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
We are Home.

See we were going to buy one used and I have found them for about 200 used so yeah LOL. No way was I buying a new Ipad but if that was what was best I was going to track one down. The grandparents send them close to 300 dollars every year so thats around what I'm looking to spend (prefer less though so I can get them a couple more things) Plus it would be cheaper to do that then spend the money every month on a smart phone LOL. The breaking with meltdowns I had not thought of though! I think we are going with the Kindle though. We like it for us AND them, its cheaper, has more options we will use. Amazon has always been great to me.

We also dont have a laptop or smart phones so this will be used in the car for traveling to appts (netflix and what not for all of them), AT appts (the other 2). Pretty much for EVERYTHING since we decided not to get me a smart phone since we are getting one of these.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Water Junkie

Me, I'd get the iPad. We have the oldest version of the iPad, an iPad 3/newest version, and soon to be two iPad Minis. So, uhm, yeah I guess my opinion is totally screwed. But! I have messed with my dad's Nook Color and I just really do not like the way it's designed. I find the touch screen to be very sensitive and click things I'm not actually trying to click! So that really made up my mind that I prefer Apple products to the Android versions.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l