Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

There are just as many learning apps on both , most are the same. Anything android will be cheaper all
Around. I would get the new google nexus in either 7 or 10 inch.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
Yeah I will have to next time shes out here. I didn't think about it yet. He gets a good bit of money to spend from all the grandparents at Christmas so I can easily get him something (was thinking a older Ipad DEFINATLY not new!)

I have no clue what the stores are or how to get there (i dont have a smart phone so yeahhhhhhhh no clue about apps LMAO)
Lol here is the site for android apps
https://play.google.com/store/apps

and apple apps https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios/id36?mt=8

You can browse through those.. but easiest way is to just look around and download once you are on the table itself

Once you get the names of the games from the therapist you can also just google the game itself and there will be download areas for various platforms
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
We are Home.

Awesome thanks! I'm so behind the times LMAO.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Jerk.

Nexus 7 or 10, cheaper and more configurable then an iPad. If Morgan is like some of us, being able to mess with things and really figure them out may be therapeutic, iPads are locked down and limited on what can be messed with. Android has a lot of options. For every app in iTunes for the iPad I bet there is the same or similar app for Android.

I have a rooted Kindle Fire running Jelly Bean as the ROM, and I aim to get either the Nexus 7 or Samsung Tab 2 7 in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I don't have any personal experience with tablets but my Mother in law got a kindle fire for Hannah and Brians nephew for Christmas this year.

Brians nephew has autism and he got the kindle fire the other day while they were visiting and he really liked it and did well with it. it was easy for him to use and figure out and theres lots of options for games both educational and fun and books and a lot of times you can get them for free

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I have an iPad and I love it. I use it more often than my laptop, just because of the ease and convenience. I think touch screens are really therapeutic- I can imagine them being even more so for someone with autism. It's just so easy and simple to be able to touch, grab, and slide a screen. Much more intuitive than a laptop or a computer.

I haven't researched into them, but I've heard the Kindle Fire is similar and less expensive.

If you do want an iPad, take a look at the refurbished ones on the Apple store. They have new outer shells, new batteries, and have a 1 year warranty:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

And like Fran mentioned, the child safe cases are important! iPads are really sleek and could be easy for a child to drop. I just have a leather case on mine since it's sturdy and protective enough for adults... but I do have a heavy duty Otterbox on my iPhone, and its saved its life way more times than I can count (and I've only had the phone for a couple of months!!!).

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

I have an ipad and I hate it at times!
It's incompatiable with a lot of stuff. Uploading photos and videos is a real chore. Uploading anything to facebook and even using many of facebooks's features was nearly impossible until the last few updates.
No flash means many sites won't load properly.

I would recommend a tablet instead.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
<--------Orson

Kevin has some kind of 10 inch android tablet......don't use it, don't even know the brand but he seems quite happy with it, LOL I have the nook HD tablet...LOVE IT!

Dag nabbit Breeze......I wish you'd known you wanted something like this a week ago! I KNOW I saw a couple different kid tablets (had the rubber impact casing and that on it already!) on GREAT black friday specials! Pffft...day late and dollar short, LOL, isn't that the luck we have?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
We are Home.

Angie *I* wish I had known since I know they had one for 40 bucks LOL. I thought they would be a waste though but to see him actually messing with it OMG. The difference was amazing. He actually WANTED to participate. So as much as I HATE the idea of buying one of those for a kid (it will be for the family BUT he will be the main reason we are buying it).

I'll have to research all the options yall brought up. Thanks for the input!!!!

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
aka RedHotBabe

We have a bunch of tablets - iPad, Nexus 7, and an ASUS Transformer Infinity. I like the Nexus 7 the best because it's such a convenient size. The only problem would be getting a case for it. I bought mine when they first came out and there were no options for cases, so I'm not sure you'd be able to find anything kid-proof. I've seen so many cases for the iPad, though. If you want an Android tablet (and something cheaper than an iPad) I wanted to get a Nook Tablet, but the Nexus 7 was better specs wise. I just think the Nook feels a lot more sturdy, and I love the bezel around the screen. It's so much easier to hold.