Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Have you ever adopted a Petfinder dog?
Yes! 23 29.87%
Sorta...(tried but turned down, helped someone else) 4 5.19%
No...but I adopted another species of pet via Petfinder 3 3.90%
I adopted a pet who was posted on Petfinder, but that's not how I found them 14 18.18%
Not yet 18 23.38%
Nope, and I probably won't 7 9.09%
Hot Apple Cider 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Oh, I didn't answer the other questions. I would absolutely adopt from Petfinder again - we had a fantastic experience and I adore Tipper's rescue. I still keep in touch with them and I donate when I can. I will probably not adopt an adult dog without meeting/fostering them first for a VERY long time though. And I have Plans for my next dog who will probably come from a breeder. I will happily enable other people's Petfinder wants though.

ETA: I actually posted here when I found her on Petfinder! http://www.chazhound.com/forums/sear...archid=2922380

And her Petfinder page is still up. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16353610

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

I've looked at Petfinder a lot, but no, never adopted any listed on there. The dogs we did adopt in the past were from breed rescues and were not listed on Petfinder. If I ever want to adopt again though I will probably look at Petfinder and see what's around. I hear of lots of success stories!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM
overdogged

I found Harv on Petfinder, went to meet him, and adopted him.

I got Luce when I went to see another dog that I'd seen on Petfinder but who was no longer there.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Gambit didn't come from Petfinder, but he did come from 1800saveapet, which is similar. How could no one have adopted this precious thing in 4 months?

I don't know that I would do it again, though. I got so screwed over with him, as much as I love him, and I know that it could have been a million times worse. I don't know that I would adopt without fostering first, unless it was coming from a chazzer or someone else I trusted to be completely honest.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Lol! If I thought they would actually consider us, I might go for it. But being military makes a lot of rescues give you the snob nose.
Understandable. Heck being realistic about responsibly managing Northern breeds makes a lot of those rescues give you the snob nose...

Incidentally a foster Malamute from Moonsong here in Boise made her second big escape and is still at large. She slipped her Ruffwear leash I guess. She's one of the Aluk mals from that big bust in MT a year and change ago. Soooo yeah, hopefully she doesn't get hit or whatever before someone finds her.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Meg was listed on Petfinder, although I didn't see her ad there until later. My friend had an email from the shelter in WV listing all the dogs they wanted transported north, and she pulled Meg based off the stuff there with me in mind.

I'd certainly do it again - Petfinder is just a venue for rescues to get their dogs seen. There are amazing rescues to work with out there, just as there are annoying or terrible ones.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Tips was posted on petfinder, I found him directly from the rescue page though.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
Understandable. Heck being realistic about responsibly managing Northern breeds makes a lot of those rescues give you the snob nose...

Incidentally a foster Malamute from Moonsong here in Boise made her second big escape and is still at large. She slipped her Ruffwear leash I guess. She's one of the Aluk mals from that big bust in MT a year and change ago. Soooo yeah, hopefully she doesn't get hit or whatever before someone finds her.
Very true. It was actually Moonsong that told me that we needed 3000sqft in order to foster or adopt one of those dogs(and it really was a BIG bust). I love the breeds, love Sibes and Mals...but there are so many people managing them in high places (rescues and breeders) that just make me shake my head. But maybe one day!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I've never adopted dogs from petfinder (the two I have came from the shelter where I was working and they were "just fosters") but most of my foster dogs found their homes via petfinder!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Kinda sorta. I knew of a herding dog rescue up in Wyoming and checked their website every once in a while, as well as Petfinder. Rider happened to be up on their website. He was on Petfinder, but was fostered in Montana, so he never showed up on my searches.

So yes and no.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would rescue again. If I did, it would have to be a puppy (may do so for the next Boxer). I just don't seem to do well with adult dogs in the house that I have not raised. I'm happy with him, but he's not the dog that I was originally looking for. I will definitely only go breeder route from now on for our "performance" dogs.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/