Have You Ever Gotten a Dog Off Petfinder?

Have you ever adopted a Petfinder dog?

• Yes!

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Sorta...(tried but turned down, helped someone else)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • No...but I adopted another species of pet via Petfinder

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I adopted a pet who was posted on Petfinder, but that's not how I found them

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Not yet

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Nope, and I probably won't

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Hot Apple Cider

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'm just curious, given all the Petfinder Want! threads and such, how many people here have actually adopted a dog from Petfinder.com?

--Poll coming shortly--

Any related experiences, which pets you've gotten (past or present), and/or if you'd do it again are welcome :)

Airn

I got Gwen from browsing PetFinder. The city I was in did a great job of updating their available animals and putting little blurbs about them. The shelter in my current city sucks at it. You get the name (if they've given them one yet), the age range (baby, young, adult, senior) and male or female. Oh and a crappy picture of them behind fencing. I've asked the lady who supposedly 'updates' it to put more information about the dogs and better pictures, but she has her favorites.

I would get a dog from PetFinder again. I browse it constantly. I even have the app. But then again, I don't see myself getting a dog from a breeder. I think it depends on the shelter/organization. Some are very informative while others.... Well I've seen more information on a Craigslist posting. I think PetFinder should make some information necessary (like price and weight) so people don't waste their time or the shelter/organization's.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I looked on there prior to getting Mia. There was only one young papillon nearby. I talked to the rescue group about him but decided to decline. He had a bite history and I just don't think it was the best fit for me.

I would consider in the future for sure. But I think I am far more likely to adopt from the local pound than an actual rescue group these days. So I might just go do trips to the shelters instead.

Xandra

I found my mom's dog on petfinder, he was at a private rescue. I don't think they were quite forward enough about his problems and I don't think she should've kept him, but, not my dog.

I also found my favorite pet to date, a cat, on petfinder. He'd been in a shelter across the province for like a year? or something, so I finally asked and they emailed back with an application, then transported him to the local shelter for me. I inquired about him because I thought he was super pretty, but he was the most amazing cat, everyone loved him.

milos_mommy

Sort of:

A girl in one of my classes asked me for help finding her a small breed puppy, she wanted to rescue, and I emailed her a couple of links to puppies on petfinder, and she did end up adopting one of them.

Also, my old boss wanted me to find her a rescue whippet - the dog I found on petfinder, however, was not a great fit, but the foster owner who had made the post was also a breeder who was rehoming a retired adult, and though she was a good fit for my boss, who took her.

Neither of my fosters were adopted via petfinder, either. One was through craigslist, the other had someone recommend us to her.

Saeleofu

I looked a bit before I got Logan. I didn't figure I'd find what I was looking for, but it couldn't hurt to look. I would definitely consider it for future pets.

ETA: OH GOD THERE ARE CRESTED GECKOS ON PETFINDER. Now I'm screwed :rofl1:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Oh and my answer was yes because Kim was a Petfinder Pup -- a fostered courtesy posting.

Her Petfinder picture:

Now:

We looked on Petfinder before getting Webster and Brie but nothing worked out. Didn't even apply for any of the Petfinder cats...we found Brie by walking into the local shelter's cat room :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I voted Sorta. I saw another dog on Petfinder and that is the dog I went to look at. It didn't work out, but they said 'hey, look at these puppies' and that's how I got Lizzie. :p So, sorta. Petfinder was one piece of the puzzle. lol

Yup, both Maisy and Pip were found on Petfinder.

I've never had to look for a cat in my life. They just seem to find us. :D

GoingNowhere

Yes :) I genuinely can't remember if I saw her on petfinder first and then went to the shelter's website or whether I found a different dog on petfinder, went to the shelter's website and then found Boo. Either way, petfinder was involved at some point.

And how could I resist this photo? This was her initial listing photo :) Boo's name was Lucy Lu when we brought her home.

crazedACD

Not Petfinder specifically but I have looked from time to time. I was looking at an ACD mix some time ago on there and was going to go get her, but they tested her with female dogs and she was snarky.

Lucy the cat was on Petharbor, usually the more county run shelters list their pets on there vs Petfinder. I had her in mind when I went to visit the shelter. We got our old akita mix from a small no kill shelter, found him on their website, though we looked at other dogs too.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've contacted various rescues about dogs listed but they never write back.
That stuff pisses me off.

It's called professionalism. A polite declination to adopt out an animal to you is the professional way to respond to an inquiry that does not meet your standards. If you can't take the two minutes it takes to write an email thanking them for their inquiry and explaining why they are not a great fit for your dog, you need to re-consider finding a position in the rescue where you no longer have contact with the public.

In response to the actual topic: Tom was on petfinder. We just stumbled into a petsmart and brought him home.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I voted Sorta. I saw another dog on Petfinder and that is the dog I went to look at. It didn't work out, but they said 'hey, look at these puppies' and that's how I got Lizzie. :p So, sorta. Petfinder was one piece of the puzzle. lol
this is kind of what happened to me with Baxter. Found a different dog on petfinder--went to the shelter and dog was already spoken for. I wound up looking at other dogs--and brought Baxter home. :D

Also--Wilson was listed on petfinder, but that is not how I found him. A chazzer posted him in the rescue forum--I saw that face and was done for. :lol-sign:

Members online